GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Plant Biology (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/)
-   -   Live Oak Tree Struck by Lightning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/191302-live-oak-tree-struck-lightning.html)

Sharon Helms 04-05-2010 07:42 PM

Live Oak Tree Struck by Lightning

Hi,

I was just pulling up info about trees hit by lightning. I know your
post is old, but how was the outcome? Did you save your tree and which
advice did you follow? We have a very old oak and it has been hit by
lightning, I love that tree and don't want it to die. Thanks any info
would be well received.

Sharon Helms

870.837.3612
DBS#1594

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/lizetje23/merry-christmas.jpg

ninjashoes 12-05-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon Helms (Post 886251)
Hi,

I was just pulling up info about trees hit by lightning. I know your
post is old, but how was the outcome? Did you save your tree and which
advice did you follow? We have a very old oak and it has been hit by
lightning, I love that tree and don't want it to die. Thanks any info
would be well received.

Sharon Helms

870.837.3612
DBS#1594

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...-christmas.jpg

maybe try feeding it a tea made out of alfalfa meal and kelp meal?

Jayson Ives 30-03-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjashoes (Post 887010)
maybe try feeding it a tea made out of alfalfa meal and kelp meal?

How would you feed a tree with a tea? (pun not intended) What I am certain is that if the tree is not totally damaged from being struck by a lighting, what you can most likely do is use the wait-and-see approach. It would take at least a year or so if the tree can survive. If not, it's best to call on a professional arborist.