GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Plant Biology (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/)
-   -   FINAL Call for Abstracts: AGU session - d13C and Biomarkers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/199189-final-call-abstracts-agu-session-d13c-biomarkers.html)

brodie 03-08-2011 04:27 AM

FINAL Call for Abstracts: AGU session - d13C and Biomarkers

Dear List members,

FINAL CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

We would like to encourage you to submit an abstract to our inter-disciplinary session (see below) at this years AGU Fall Meeting (December 2011) in San Francisco, CA. The deadline for abstract submission is 4th August 2011.

Session Title: Modern Insights Into the Paleo-carbon Cycle: A *13C and Biomarker Perspective

Invited presenters (confirmed):

Prof. Philip Meyers (Michigan, USA - Stable isotopes in modern and palaeo environments; Palaeoceanography)

Dr. Jennifer Dungait (BBSRC, UK - Soil processes, stable isotopes and biomarker distributions)

Prof. Kliti Grice (Curtin University, Australia - Mass Extinction Events; biogeochemistry of extant organisms; organic matter preservation)

Prof. Howard Griffiths (Cambridge, UK - Plant physiology, photosynthesis and stable isotopes)

Understanding the carbon cycle is central to constraining environmental processes from biological productivity to palaeo environmental interpretations.. Rigorously quantifying these processes at different spatial and temporal scales requires an integrative inter-disciplinary approach. This session aims to bring together ecologists, biochemists, palaeoclimatologists and geochemists that use bulk and compound specific ä13C and biomarker distributions in marine and terrestrial environments. We particularly encourage contributions investigating biological productivity (i.e. photosynthesis); carbon fluxes; diagenesis and soil processes; the use of carbon to investigate modern and palaeo-environments; and method development.

Link: http://sites.agu.org/fallmeeting/sci...sion-search/92

Convenors: Chris Brodie (Hong Kong University, China); James Casford (Durham University, UK); Erin McClymont (Newcastle University, UK); Melanie Leng (NIGL, UK).

Abstract submission is via http://agu-fm11.abstractcentral.com/ and the deadline is 4th August 23:59 EDT.

Student Travel Grant Applications: https://www.agu.org/education/grants/travel.shtml

This inter-disciplinary session aims to enhance our understanding of local - global C cycle dynamics from researchers using bulk and compound specific ä13C and biomarker distributions. We are very keen to receive abstracts from researchers utilising bulk and compound specific ä13C and biomarker distributions to gain an insight into modern and palaeo biogeochemical processes in terrestrial and aquatic environments (e.g., including plant physiology, soil processes, water column processes, surface sediment research, down-core reconstructions and so on...). This will allow a state of the art evaluation of the caveats in the scientific understanding from an inter-disciplinary perspective and help constrain our understanding of environmental and climatic processes.

Dr. Chris Brodie
Department of Earth Sciences
James Lee Science Building
Hong Kong University