Old 18-02-2003, 08:53 AM
jammer

Default Aloe Vera Plants

It made me sick to read this. This is what i came to ask. I have many
aloe leaves in a vase of water. What happened was i have this
sentimental aloe plant and i probably over watered it. It started
bending and then i noticed the base was turning to mush. I left the
potted base and pulled off the rest of it. There is NOTHING i can
DO????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:37:51 GMT, "Cereoid+10"
wrote:

Aloe vera cannot be propagated from leaf cuttings.

Not all leaf succulents can be propagated from leaf cuttings.

Aloe are succulents not Cactus.

Not all succulents are Cactus.

rusty wrote in message
OK, to start off.... This is my first post. I do not know the rules...
please disarm any flame throwers

Thanks

I have an Aloe Plant that was given to me by a neighbor. This plant is

huge
and up until yesterday in good shape. Last night the plant got knocked

off
the counter by a cat (do not say get rid of the cat... I am not sure which
one it was). A few of the leaves got broken off. I would like to save

them
and try to get new plants growing from them. I have dipped them in a
rooting hormone, and placed them in soil. Is this the best thing to do?
Any ideas would be helpful.

I did this since I have had success with another Succulent type Cactus

that
was too big. And it took off great.

Thanks in advance,

Rusty

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 18-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Cereoid+10

Its been almost a month since you asked the question. Is there anything left
of your plant anymore?

Take the leaves out of water. That's not the way one roots succulent plant
leaves and its not going to work for Aloe vera anyway.

You'd have better luck waving a dead cat over your head!!!

Old 19-02-2003, 06:00 AM
jammer

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:51:36 GMT, "Cereoid+10"
wrote:

Its been almost a month since you asked the question. Is there anything left
of your plant anymore?

Take the leaves out of water. That's not the way one roots succulent plant
leaves and its not going to work for Aloe vera anyway.

You'd have better luck waving a dead cat over your head!!!

I posted that last night.

Ok............sigh.........thanks for the window sill space........i
guess.

What about the mama still attached to roots but rather uh, mushy
looking? Can i repot the roots with any luck?

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 19-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Cereoid+10

Your original posting about the plant was about a month ago. Don't you
remember?

Who knows if the original plant will survive? The info you provided isn't
sufficient to say. The mushy appearance may be the result of rot brought on
by cold damage or any of a number of reasons. First you blame a cat and now
you say you have over watered it. Luck has nothing to do with it.

A picture would be worth a thousand words.

Old 19-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
jammer wrote:

What about the mama still attached to roots but rather uh, mushy
looking? Can i repot the roots with any luck?

If the stem is mushy, most likely the roots are rotten, too, but you
don't have anything to lose just letting the whole pot dry out for a
couple of months, then rewater it cautiously. It's possible, but not
likely, that some pieces of stolon may survive and put up small
plants. You could also try dumping out the pot, recovering any sound
pieces, and leaving them out to dry. If any remain firm after a week
or so, you can repot them. If they are stolons, they may grow, as
above.

You may still be able to save the upper part of the plant. Cut it off,
and keep slicing off stem until you reach healthy material. Remove a
few more leaves, and leave it lying in a dry place for several weeks.
The cut end will form a callus, analogous to a scab. Once the callus
is well formed, solid and dry, you can root the plant in a loose
rooting medium like moist vermiculite. Once it develops roots, repot
it. If you tend to overwater, use a clay pot. You may need to use
some stones to prop the plant up until it develops good roots. Use a
coarse potting soil low in organic material.

Everybody makes these kinds of mistakes when they're learning. Keep a
close eye on your succulents, checking for rot. In general, most
common succulents can go months without water, especially in winter
when they aren't exposed to hot sunlight and aren't growing. It
doesn't harm them to wilt a bit from dryness, but be sure they aren't
wilting because their roots have rotted from overwatering!

Good luck with your plant. If it doesn't make it, chalk it up to
experience and get another.

Old 19-02-2003, 11:24 PM
jammer

Old 19-02-2003, 11:26 PM
jammer

Ok, thank you for your reply.

On 19 Feb 2003 15:47:11 GMT, (Beverly Erlebacher)

Old 23-02-2003, 02:15 AM
rusty

Thank you kind person for your follow up....

The most that I felt I got from alot of the group was a good flaming.

Sorry folks, I have cats and plants, which do not always mix. But the Aloe
was given to me by a person who could not tend to it due to health.

How, the Big Plant, ( leave span is about 30" diamater) is ok, but the
leaves that broke off were and are the issue. I put them in roottone, and
put them in soil. What is the likelyhood of anything.

Please this time, can we be NICE?!?

Old 23-02-2003, 02:16 AM
rusty

Hey, I am the guy with the cats....

be nice to jammer, i felt i got hit enough

Thank you

Old 23-02-2003, 04:52 AM
Cereoid+10

The likelihood of you and Jammer being the same person is far greater than
the likelihood of propagating Aloe vera from leaf cuttings. Looked like you
posted a second time under a different pseudonym with the same question. Who
knew that mutilating Aloe vera plants was such a popular pastime?

The two of you should start a cat throwing contest!!!

Old 23-02-2003, 06:11 AM
jammer

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:52:41 GMT, "Cereoid+10"
wrote:

The likelihood of you and Jammer being the same person is far greater than
the likelihood of propagating Aloe vera from leaf cuttings. Looked like you
posted a second time under a different pseudonym with the same question. Who
knew that mutilating Aloe vera plants was such a popular pastime?

The two of you should start a cat throwing contest!!!

I guess check the headers and you have seen me on other groups. I am
only me.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer

Old 13-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered User

Maybe Im confused and this is a little off topic...but if rusty and Jammer aren't the same person then how come after each of Rusty's posts it has Jammer signatured all pretty underneath the same post???? Plus what would one get outta asking questions under differnent sn's?? Bordem I guess??!?!?!?

Can aloe vera plants be grown outdoors in England Kent paterson00 Gardening 3 13-05-2008 05:47 PM
Rooting aloe vera plants Jim Carlock Gardening 5 07-03-2006 12:05 PM
Two questions..Aloe Vera plants and Climbing Shell junkyardcat Gardening 6 10-11-2004 09:49 AM
Aloe Vera Plants rusty Plant Biology 13 05-04-2003 04:32 PM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 03:32 PM