Old 23-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Dennis G.

Default "**** Off" plant", Coleus canina ?

Below is a quote from a garden forum on the web. I've lost the URL already !

quote
I just read today in "garden west" magazine that there's a new plant developed
in Germany that's a natural dog repellent. It's called "**** Off" plant, coleus
canina. Developed by Dieter Stegmeier in Germany. I'm not sure who would carry
it in the States. /end quote

Has anyone information on the truth of the claims ?

Dennis
Old 24-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Cereoid+10

Coleus caninus (Roth) Vatke (note spelling) is correctly named Plectranthus
caninus Roth.It is a weedy annual species widespread in eastern & southern
Africa and India. There is nothing at all new about the plant and it is no
more a dog repellent than any other foul smelling plant. The allied
perennial Plectranthus neochilus Schlechter would be a better choice because
the foliage smells like a skunk!!!

Marigolds would work just as well.

!

Old 25-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Vcoerulea

.. .

Dennis G. wrote in message
Below is a quote from a garden forum on the web. I've lost the URL

already
!

quote
I just read today in "garden west" magazine that there's a new plant

developed
in Germany that's a natural dog repellent. It's called "**** Off" plant,

coleus
canina. Developed by Dieter Stegmeier in Germany. I'm not sure who would

carry
it in the States. /end quote

Has anyone information on the truth of the claims ?

Dennis

Cereoid: I agree with your assessment and commend your restraint.

Old 26-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Dennis G.

"Cereoid+10" wrote:

Coleus caninus (Roth) Vatke (note spelling) is correctly named Plectranthus
caninus Roth.It is a weedy annual species widespread in eastern & southern
Africa and India. There is nothing at all new about the plant and it is no
more a dog repellent than any other foul smelling plant. The allied
perennial Plectranthus neochilus Schlechter would be a better choice because
the foliage smells like a skunk!!!

Marigolds would work just as well.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis
Old 26-02-2003, 03:31 PM
Cereoid+10+

I did a search on "Coleus canina" and not only is the name consistently
misspelled but most of the information given is false and fantasy. The plant
is a well documented widespread weedy species not a hybrid created in
Germany.

It is just the latest plant hoax being perpetrated by some unscrupulous
European dealers. The sad thing is that some American nurseries have fallen
for all the hype hook, line and sinker. They show themselves to be simply
naive and too lazy to do a little homework of their own. Apparently some
garden writers are no better. The shame of it all.

Vcoerulea wrote in message

.. .

Old 26-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
Cereoid+10+ wrote:
I did a search on "Coleus canina" and not only is the name consistently
misspelled but most of the information given is false and fantasy. The plant
is a well documented widespread weedy species not a hybrid created in
Germany.

Sounds like this year's version of of Citrosa, the Mosquito Repeller
Plant. This robust and attractive scented geranium received a lot of
hype some years ago as just the thing to keep mosquitos away from your
patio, complete with hype and fantasy about being genetically
engineered in Europe to fight malaria in the tropics. As far as i can
tell, it's yet another complex hybrid, perhaps mostly 'rose' and
'lemon' by the plant habit, leaf shape and scent, and about as
effective as any other citrus scented plant at repelling mosquitos,
i.e. marginal to nil even if you rub the juice on your skin.

Coleus canina *Scardy Cat plant* Ford Prefect United Kingdom 2 23-07-2005 08:12 PM
Coleus Canina Guedj54 United Kingdom 1 13-04-2004 05:04 PM
"Piss-off" Plant. Coleus canina Dennis G. sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
"Piss Off" plant", Coleus canina ? Dennis G. Plant Biology 5 05-04-2003 04:32 PM
"Piss-off" Plant. Coleus canina Dennis G. sci.agriculture 0 23-02-2003 09:36 PM