Old 22-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Seska Vedek

Default palm plants questions

I have some palms that I have raised for several years. As they grow taller
the stalk grows thicker and this concerns me because the stalk at the bottom
is much thinner. I know with rubber and jade you can get roots to grow up
on the stalk and eventually cut it away to have a separate plant. Is this
something that can be done with a palm? Thanks

Old 23-07-2003, 02:42 AM
Ricky

"Seska Vedek" wrote in message
I have some palms that I have raised for several years. As they grow

taller
the stalk grows thicker and this concerns me because the stalk at the

bottom
is much thinner. I know with rubber and jade you can get roots to grow up
on the stalk and eventually cut it away to have a separate plant. Is this
something that can be done with a palm? Thanks

No. You can not air-layer a palm tree. If you cut the bark it will never
heal. Many palms will bulge in the upper trunk as they grow. This is a water
retention feature that occurs during times of drought. If you can post a
picture of the palm I might be able to ID it for you.

Ricky

Old 25-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Jeff Shimonski

Cutting the bark on a palm is not a good idea because it will never heal.
You can however "air layer" certain species of palms that have adventitious
roots. Chamaedorea sp are a good example of this. They can grow very
tall and eventually the heads may snap off. If they have adventitious roots
on the trunk, an "air layer" without cutting into the trunk can usually be done.
After the roots have begun to grow, the trunk is cut through and the much
shorter tree is then replanted.

Jeff