Old 27-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Nachtlawaai

Default Help on plants

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm in the right newsgroup for my amateur questions...
Can anyone provide me with informations on the following..?

1. I have a dying Aloe Vera, the leaves on the outside started getting
brown spots, then black then drying out completely, now I'm afraid
even the middle is affected by the same symptoms. All I know is not to
give too much water each day, but that is as far as my knowledge
reaches...

2. my wife started using the (cold) left-over water that she used
after boiling rice in it to water the plants with. According to her
it's supposed to be healthy for them. I'm not too sure about that
myself, only the orchids seem to survive it (?) Can anyone tell me if
and also why this would be helpful? (N-related?) I've also tried
ashes, but I'm not too convinced of that either...just hear-say for
me, but I'd like to get some explanation on these topics...

I hope you can make sense out of my questions.

Have a great day!
and Thanks in advance!!
Old 31-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Your "Aloe vera" is probably getting too much water and not enough light.
Water it thoroughly once a week and let it go dry between waterings.

Don't water you plants with "rice water". It obviously is not good for the
plants at all.
Don't use "ashes" either.

om...

Old 03-09-2003, 08:22 AM
rsymes

Nachtlawaai wrote:

[...]

Using water from boiled rice can be beneficial but too much can fill the
soil with simple carbohydrates and other nutrients which will encourage
rapid growth of unwanted bacteria and fungal organisms which can then
infect your plants.
Does the soil smell a bit off? Like something rotten or fermented?
The plants might be beyond saving now but you could try repotting in fresh
soil making sure to carefully rinse off any of the old soil from the
roots.
Once Aloe Vera starts to rot it can be hard to stop.

Old 03-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Using water from boiled rice is not at all good for plants in any amount.

Any amount of it contains carbohydrates and they are bad for the plants and
the soil.

No wonder the plant is dying.

Also the plant is being overwatered.

Water it thoroughly only once a week and let it go completely dry between
waterings.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:22 PM

Nachtlawaai wrote:

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm in the right newsgroup for my amateur questions...
Can anyone provide me with informations on the following..?

1. I have a dying Aloe Vera, the leaves on the outside started getting
brown spots, then black then drying out completely, now I'm afraid
even the middle is affected by the same symptoms. All I know is not to
give too much water each day,

You are watering it every day?
check this:
http://www.aloeindia.com/faqs.htm
Aloe Vera requires about 150 ml of water each month for it
yield quality leaf weighing around 1 kg.

but that is as far as my knowledge
reaches...

2. my wife started using the (cold) left-over water that she used
after boiling rice in it to water the plants with. According to her
it's supposed to be healthy for them. I'm not too sure about that
myself, only the orchids seem to survive it (?) Can anyone tell me if

I thought Aloe was a plant from hot and dry weather while
orchids prefer warm and moist climates.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

The genus Aloe contains nearly 500 species found throughout Africa,
Madagascar and the Arabian peninsula in a wide range of habitats.

The family Orchidaceae is found on every continent except Antarctica in
every imaginable type of habitat. Yes, there are even many xerophytic
species of orchids, especially in Africa and Madagascar.

wrote in message

Nachtlawaai wrote:

[...]

Colorful Tropical Foliage Plants – Croton Plants And Caladium Plants BobWalsh Gardening 2 04-10-2011 01:31 PM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 02:03 AM
Plants, Plants, Plants! Ali Khan Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:20 AM
Plants, Plants, Plants Ali Khan Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 07:10 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 06:09 AM