GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Plant Biology (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/)
-   -   Albizzia julibriss leaf organs question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/60523-albizzia-julibriss-leaf-organs-question.html)

Wolfgang Schechinger 04-05-2004 01:03 AM

Albizzia julibriss leaf organs question

Dear all,

please don't beat me if the answer really may be found in textbooks, but so
far I could not get it. That's why I am addressing it to you. the experts!

Here is my question: Looking at the leaves of an Albizzia sp. (probably A.
julibrissin, though the flowers are completely white, it's also called
"sleeping tree" sice it folds the leaves at night), I noticed two organs on
each leaf (one at the beginning and and one at the end which are 1 to 3 mm
in diameter and of ellipsoid shape).

Could anyone please point me to a reference where I might find some clues
on the role of these organs? Screening standard text books on plant biology
and-physiology in the library did not yield any result; Albizzia just seems
to be the textbook example for sleeping trees ;-)

All input is welcome!

Wo (who is at home in bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts)

Wolfgang Schechinger

---

Monique Reed 04-05-2004 05:11 PM

Albizzia julibriss leaf organs question

Hello,

Many members of the Mimosaceae (or Mimosoideae, if you put legumes in
one family), have glands on the leaves. If I recall correctly, n at
least some species, these function as nectaries to attract
pollinators.

M. REed

--
˙WPC5