Old 05-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Joe Bevilacqua

Default DO NOT BUY TREES FROM PALM & GRDEN NURSERY, FL

WARNING:
DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM:
Palm and Garden Nursery
123 N Congress Ave.
Boynton Beach, FL United States 33426
(561)852-1789

On April 12, I bought two banana tres from this company, from their
website:

http://www.palmsandgardens.biz/palms/

As of May 28, I had not recieved the trees, the company has not
responded to any of my requests or complaints, they have never called
me back or responded to any of my e-mails, they had not delivered my
trees or given me a refund. I spoke to customer service three times
without any help. Each time, they promised to call me back with an
answer and never did.

Finally, on June 3, the trees arrived DAMAGED! I spoke to a person
there on the phone, a man with a French accent. I politely asked for a
refund or replacement and he started YELLING at me and telling me it
was my own fault for accepting the box! How I was supposed to know the
trees were crushed without accepting and opening the box, I do not
know. This man was very rude and continued to yell at me and berate me
until I hung up on him.

Whatever you do... DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE COMPANY!!!!

Joe Bevilacqua
Napanoch, NY
Old 05-06-2004, 10:04 PM
BOB

And I'm supposed to take the word of a crossposting imbicle who SHOUTS HIS
MESSAGE ON USENET?

How do I know that you aren't just a disgruntled competitor from the same area?

Old 06-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Mike LaMana

I would be very careful posting this sort of thing..actually I wouldn't post
this sort of thing. Looks almost libelous.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

om...

Old 06-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Amy D

Mike LaMana wrote:
I would be very careful posting this sort of thing..actually I wouldn't post
this sort of thing. Looks almost libelous.

I think if he would leave off the part about "DO NOT BUY FROM THEM" it
wouldn't be libelous. is that really the word?

Otherwise, it just seems like an honest personal account of his side of
the story.

amy

Old 06-06-2004, 03:09 AM
eclectic

"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote in message
I would be very careful posting this sort of thing..actually I wouldn't post
this sort of thing. Looks almost libelous.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Toms River, NJ
www.HeartwoodConsulting.net

"Joe Bevilacqua" wrote in message
om...
WARNING:
DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM:

(agressively snipped)

Just wondering - if the statements are malicious and not true, then isn't
repeating
this libel in your post also libelous? (But if the statements are 100% true,
haven't
you defamed Joe by implying that he is engaging in libel? :)

It can be useful to share information when we get poor service, but for me
reports of excellent service carry more weight. People who SHOUT their opinions
have undermined their worth. You know - more heat than substance.

Old 06-06-2004, 04:05 AM

I sense problems with this post. Teling people what to do, and
admiting not working with the business's customer support. Plus
ordering bannana tress for NY?

This must be a fake or someone too angry to figure he's opening
himself to a lawsuit.

Seek legal councel.

nuff said,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***********************************
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com - Hospital Jobs Classifieds.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Chet Hayes

If it's true, then it's not libel. A few pictures and the box the
plants came in should be adequate proof, but it's unlikely he needs
it, because no one is going to waster their time on nonsense like
this.

As for recommending people not do business with them, that's clearly
personal opinion, which he's entitled to give.

If he paid by credit card, he has some recourse. It's not uncommon to
have probems of this type with mail order nurseries.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM

On 6 Jun 2004 09:40:35 -0700, (Chet Hayes)
wrote:

If it's true, then it's not libel. A few pictures and the box the
plants came in should be adequate proof, but it's unlikely he needs
it, because no one is going to waster their time on nonsense like
this.

As for recommending people not do business with them, that's clearly
personal opinion, which he's entitled to give.

If he paid by credit card, he has some recourse. It's not uncommon to
have probems of this type with mail order nurseries.

Sorry, first let me say I'm not armed with a law degree, only common
sense. The same common sense that a jury of 6 would use to find this
person at fault.

He didn't state an option when he told people not to do business with
them. He made a statement, a command. Even before he explained his
situtation.

Next, the gentleman failed to point out something, there was a third
party involved, the delivery company. Let's play along, the shipper
sent undamage trees. The customer received damaged trees. What does
the customer do? Blames the shipper, gets in an argument and hangs
up. That was hypothethical.

Ive received damaged items shipped. The shipper said they weren't
dammaged, I received them damaged(not noticed till opened), UPS
investigated and I got a full refund of everything.

Now for something from the nursery site: "Our nursery is not
responsible & liable for losses or damages to the plants done by the
shipping carrier (FEDEX , UPS, USPS). All complaints must be done
immeidately to the carrier at delivery in case of apparent or
concealed damages. "

Also, sounds like there could be a problem with getting money back
from the credit card company if he didn't take the necessary steps.

Wish him luck, and maybe everyone can get a win/win situation out of
this.

later,

tom

****************
Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

On 6 Jun 2004 09:40:35 -0700,
(Chet Hayes)
wrote:

[...]

Honest nurseries replace anything that arrives damaged, period. If they
adhere to the policy "take it up with UPS, because we couldn't care less,"
then indeed this company should be avoided.

The NURSERY ships & the shipper is the nursery's agent, not mine. I pay
the NURSERY for the product & the shipping, I do not pay the shipper. If
the company needs to deal with their shipper or their shipping insurance,
they can do so, but if I order something that is shipped to me, the
company I bought it from & no one else WILL take complete responsibility
for getting it to me safely & as advertised.

I've not as yet dealt with any nursery that was less than eager to make
every order 100% right. If Palm & Garden actually adheres to that stated
policy, in that case they are, no question about it, crooks.

-paghat the ratgirl

Also, sounds like there could be a problem with getting money back
from the credit card company if he didn't take the necessary steps.

Wish him luck, and maybe everyone can get a win/win situation out of
this.

later,

tom

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com

Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Bill

paghat wrote:

I've not as yet dealt with any nursery that was less than eager to make
every order 100% right.

This is a telling point ... do you really think Palm & Garden is any
exception to your experience? I've dealt with a lot of customers and I
promise you that there are plenty of jerks out there. Companies want your
money and if you paid with a credit card, have to keep on your good side
until well after settlement is made.

If Palm & Garden actually adheres to that stated
policy, in that case they are, no question about it, crooks.

-paghat the ratgirl

Ummm nope ... if they actually adhere to their stated policy that makes them
honest. When you buy from a company you agree to its printed conditions. If
you don't like them, buy elsewhere. That policy is part of the purchase
contract (offer, acceptance, exchange) and a customer has no reasonable
expectation of anything else.

Sometimes companys BREAK their policies and give more value than agreed upon
in order to secure future sales ... but when they do so they have broken
their written word.

I also don't think we know enough about the OP to be certain he/she is
telling the truth here. DID the tree arrive damaged or did it get that way
afterwards? We really don't know. Did they have the hassle they related? We
don't know anything except what the OP told us and that means we don't
'know' anything at all ... except that they lost their temper and were very
rude with some peon on a help desk.

I'm not going to back the openly rude person up. So far as I am concerned,
he can just flap in the breeze. It seems clear to me that they can not
handle their own temper and this makes me wonder if the tree was actually
broken at all or if they are just trying to scam Palm & Gardens.

Let me make two points and then I'll shut up.

1) We don't have access to the facts, only one person's story. It would be
interesting if someone from Palm & Garden could follow up with their side
of events.

2) Even if we did have access to the facts, we can't force either party to
behave better. Most especially we can't give the helpdesk peon any solace
for having to deal with ill-mannered and ill-tempered morons.

Bill

Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Mike LaMana fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote:
I would be very careful posting this sort of thing..actually I wouldn't post
this sort of thing. Looks almost libelous.

Truth is an absolute defense against the charge of libel.

billo
Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Steve

paghat the ratgirl wrote:

Honest nurseries replace anything that arrives damaged, period. If they
adhere to the policy "take it up with UPS, because we couldn't care less,"
then indeed this company should be avoided.

The NURSERY ships & the shipper is the nursery's agent, not mine. I pay
the NURSERY for the product & the shipping, I do not pay the shipper. If
the company needs to deal with their shipper or their shipping insurance,
they can do so, but if I order something that is shipped to me, the
company I bought it from & no one else WILL take complete responsibility
for getting it to me safely & as advertised.

I agree completely. With their policy, there's nothing to prevent
them from packing up a damaged plant and sending it. They leave it
up to the customer to fight with the shipper and they pocket the
money anyway.

On the other hand, it seems the original poster hasn't been back to
comment further. That might be of significance too.

Steve

Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Rick

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 23:06:13 -0400, Steve wrote:

paghat the ratgirl wrote:

[...]

I recently had the pleasure of trying to deal with the UPS on an
insurance claim for a damaged antique. UPS insurance is simply a
scam. Their position was that I find out what the damaged part would
cost to replace (it is not replaceable) and leave the part with them.
The only alternative was to claim the full amount and leave the
antique with the UPS for up to 6 months while they decided whether
they would honor the claim or not. They would not accept estimates
from reliable restorers, and would not *recommend* having it repaired
as the claim might be denied. I sent off a couple of letters (by
other couriers) to local and national officials at UPS and received
absolutely no replies, not even from customer service. Personally, I
am done either receiving or shipping via UPS. Fortunately I paid for
the item with a credit card, so now it is the dealer's problem
(returned at their expense for a full refund).

Old 10-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Bill

Bill Oliver wrote:

In article ,
Mike LaMana fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote:
I would be very careful posting this sort of thing..actually I wouldn't
post this sort of thing. Looks almost libelous.

Truth is an absolute defense against the charge of libel.

billo

IANAL but you might want to look that up. I had occaision to research the
matter at some depth a few years back and I don't think it's that cut and
dried.