Old 21-07-2004, 05:11 AM
Joe

Default Plant Identification?

Not sure if this is the right group, so please forgive me if it is not...
But I need a plant expert:

Can anyone help me identify the plants I just posted on my site at
http://youthelate.com/leaves.htm

Some say Sumac, some say Mountain Ash. Leaves look like walnut, but the
branch structure is different.

This tree is in Northern, NJ... HELP!?!

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Free heavy canvas punching bag. Pick it up in Northern NJ or near Basking
Ridge and it's yours FREE. eMail me for details.

Old 21-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Swade

Probably a mountain ash and quite a large one. They usually don't live long
enough to reach a very large size. If those are orange berries I see on it,
then I'm quite sure it's a mountain ash.

Swade

Old 21-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Joe

Thank you. I'll try to get pictures of the bark / fruit up there too.

news:eab60$40fe03b9$d841ab24$32748@allthenewsgroup s.com...

Old 21-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Monique Reed

Um, have you double-checked against Ailanthus, Tree-of-heaven? It has
pinnately compound leaves and orangey, flat fruits. You can confirm
it by the little glandular lobe at the base of each leaflet. It's an
exotic and very weedy in some spots. The trees can be quite large.

M. Reed
Old 21-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Monique Reed

Sorry to piggyback on my own post, but I found a photo of the glands
on Ailanthus:
http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/dcs420/mi09/mi09067.jpg

MDR

Old 22-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Joe

I think that is indeed the plant... These "trees" are a good 75-90' tall
too.

Wonder if the wood is good for smoking food on a grill?

Old 22-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Monique Reed

I'm not sure the wood is good for grilling--my books say the plant can
cause dermatitis in some people, and the foliage is said to be
"fetid." You might not like the results.

M. Reed