GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID this red flower please... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/104218-id-red-flower-please.html)

Gnarlodious 04-09-2005 05:57 AM

ID this red flower please...

Can anyone recognize this red flower?

http://home.earthlink.net/~w6zno/RedFlower.jpg

Thanks

-- Gnarlie

Gnarlodious 04-09-2005 02:28 PM

Thanks to Tim Waters for correctly identifying this one as a
Bromeliad/Guzmania AKA "Lava Plant":
http://home.earthlink.net/~w6zno/RedFlower.jpg

How about this one?
http://users.rcn.com/murrayallon/NYCPlant.jpg

It grows in New York City beside the Bryant Park library and loves hot humid
summers.

-- Gnarlie

monique 05-09-2005 06:39 PM

Gnarlodious wrote:
Can anyone recognize this red flower?

http://home.earthlink.net/~w6zno/RedFlower.jpg

Thanks

-- Gnarlie

I'm pretty sure this is a top view looking down into the "vase" of a
bromeliad. The showy red parts are merely colored bracts or leaves. The
true flowers will either be borne down in the center or on a long stalk
stuck out of the center.

M. Reed

Displayed name 06-09-2005 11:06 PM

"Gnarlodious" wrote in message
Thanks to Tim Waters for correctly identifying this one as a
Bromeliad/Guzmania AKA "Lava Plant":
http://home.earthlink.net/~w6zno/RedFlower.jpg

How about this one?
http://users.rcn.com/murrayallon/NYCPlant.jpg

It grows in New York City beside the Bryant Park library and loves hot

humid
summers.

-- Gnarlie

This second with large leaves we call "Adam", and cause we have here
continental climat we keep it in pots and during winter remains in house.
Very easy plant, no special needs, sometimes makes flowers, which has also
specific scent. It can have a very large leaves which can be gorgious, lower
leaves which lose it's beauty freely cut, cause new and nicer are coming
from center

Cereus-validus....... 07-09-2005 03:43 AM

Oh come on, dude.

Try making a modicum of effort on your own.

You can find them yourself in any "houseplant" book, you lazy fool. They are
neither rare nor difficult to ID.