Old 19-10-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Ulmus thomasii, cork elm or rock elm

I was reading about this species and said it was rare. How rare is it?
Do nurseries have this species? Do they mean it is rare in forests but
easy to find in nurseries?

Old 21-10-2005, 11:29 AM

Anyone know of a seed source for Rock Elm? I was looking at nursery
stock and some have a elm hybrid that is somewhat resistant to Dutch
Elm disease, but no mention of the crosses. Whether they use Ulmus
thomasii to make this disease resistant elm. It has a non-vase shaped
trunk which suggests it is Rock Elm.

Anyone know.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 24-10-2005, 10:28 AM

Now I wonder if wood for construction of elm with Dutch elm disease and
wood of elm without Dutch elm disease were different woods? In other
words would a tree felled of Dutch elm disease be any weaker or less of
a construction grade lumber than a elm without the disease? I suspect
the answer is that they are the same lumber and that the fungus does
not have a role in the lumber. The fungus has a role in the premature
death of the elm tree but not in the lumber itself. Can someone confirm
or deny my suspicion. And if my suspicion is correct, then elm should
be planted often and if the tree dies the wood is still valuable,
especially Rock Elm.

I remember reading somewhere that a genus of trees in England was dying
out over a fungus some thousands of years ago and had nearly
exterminated the genus but then a few resistant survivors went on to
champion over the fungus and now England has a healthy community of
this genus. So I think the fate of elm genus will go the same pattern
where a collection of resistant survivors eventually re-emerge to
populate the woods.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 25-10-2005, 09:09 PM

Now there should be set up on Earth a guardian or stewardship program
that crosses country borders and is international in scope. An
organization based on scientists and one particular person for each
endangered species or declining species. Such as the Ulmus thomasii. So
that any other individual in the world that cares about this particular
species and wants to propagate more of that species simply can call up
the guardian person and arrange to have seeds sent. This guardian
trustee ship does not have to be confined to plants but can be for
animals also. So that those people who care about endangered plants or
animals can make a difference by raising them.

So that if I want seeds of Ulmus thomasii, I look up the guardian of
the species, call them up and arrange to have seeds sent to me.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium