GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   IDs requested on plants in a Sydney garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/109181-ids-requested-plants-sydney-garden.html)

Richard Wright 19-11-2005 01:25 AM

IDs requested on plants in a Sydney garden

Can somebody help me with specific IDs on a flower and a tree (in a
Sydney garden this week)

(A) The flower looks to me like an iris:

http://box.net/public/richwrig/dfiles/IrisLike.jpg

(B) The tree has sharp-edged scars all up its trunk from where leaves
have fallen off. The leaves are fleshy and velvety:

http://box.net/public/richwrig/dfile...LeavedTree.jpg

loosecanon 19-11-2005 02:15 PM

IDs requested on plants in a Sydney garden

Hi

Is Dietes grandiflora also known as Wild Iris.

Someone is selling it on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wild-Iris-Die...W0QQitemZ44187
41801QQcategoryZ3185QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

Cheers

Richard

Richard Wright 19-11-2005 11:43 PM

IDs requested on plants in a Sydney garden

Thanks, Richard. I would never have got the Kalanchoe beharensis!

What is the pronunciation of Dietes?

Die-tees? Dee-tees? Di-ee-tes? Dee-ay-tes?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:15:28 +0800, "loosecanon"
wrote:

Hi

Is Dietes grandiflora also known as Wild Iris.

Someone is selling it on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wild-Iris-Die...W0QQitemZ44187
41801QQcategoryZ3185QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Cheers

Richard

.. .

loosecanon 20-11-2005 11:26 AM

IDs requested on plants in a Sydney garden

haha I say Diet-ees others say die- etees. Don't start with Kalanchoe no one
I have heard yet has pronounced that the same.

M 21-11-2005 09:54 AM

IDs requested on plants in a Sydney garden

Richard,

We had a few of those iris in our front garden. We were told they were
natives. That may be so, but not of Australia.

They grew into large clumps and if they are not dead-headed after
flowering, the seeds sprout up everywhere.

In my opinion, they're as weed-like as the bloody-awful agapanthus. Both
should be banned (though I hear there is a new aga out which is not as
invasive).

Mark.