GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Constructing epithets (was Use of the word (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/11885-re-constructing-epithets-re-use-word.html)

[email protected] 27-03-2003 01:20 PM

Constructing epithets (was Use of the word

Great thread! Thanks for the short course in naming plants. It is just
what I needed, Looks like a non-english word is the root rather a place
or person.

Jack

[email protected] 28-03-2003 04:56 AM

Constructing epithets (was Use of the word

OK Behen is an arabic word but I would like to know it's english
meaning.

I found this:

APPENDICES
A. Additional Arabic Loanwords with Variant Spellings
alchitran, alkilranjargon, jargoon rail, rein alkarnna, alkennajihad,
jehad rava, ravah ben, behen jubbah, jubba ratarna, retama berat, barat
kabyle, kabyl retem, raetem

Beverly Erlebacher 29-03-2003 09:44 PM

Constructing epithets (was Use of the word

In article ,
wrote:
OK Behen is an arabic word but I would like to know it's english
meaning.

IIRC at the beginning of the thread, someone listed a number of scientific
names of plants that are called 'behen' in various areas, so likely it's
an Arabic (or Farsi, or both) common name for a plant, applied to different
plants in different areas. Asking what it means may be like asking what
English words like "ironwood" or "lily" mean. These common names are
applied to many different, often unrelated, species of plant.