GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Constructing epithets (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/12207-re-constructing-epithets.html)

Iris Cohen 29-03-2003 04:56 PM

Constructing epithets

Monte Baldo does not really sound as if it has its roots in Latin?

Not enough roots of any kind, I think.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

P van Rijckevorsel 29-03-2003 08:44 PM

Constructing epithets

Monte Baldo does not really sound as if it has its roots in Latin?

Iris Cohen schreef
Not enough roots of any kind, I think.
Iris,

+ + +
Mountains are sometimes regarded as having roots, but to dwell on that would
mean going into a field between geology on the one hand and literature on
the other. I think the tension between botany on the one hand and Latin on
the other is quite enough, without adding further complications?
PvR

Martin Rand 31-03-2003 09:32 AM

Constructing epithets

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Monte Baldo does not really sound as if it has its roots in Latin?

Not enough roots of any kind, I think.

And definitely no place to spend the night if you're Russian!

Martin Rand 26-04-2003 01:31 PM

Constructing epithets