Old 01-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default beetles that look like ladybug but not; Sandpipers?

I had always thought sandpipers are only near coasts. And this is South
Dakota.
I was never good at identification of birds. I do enjoy these birds. I
call them
sandpipers because they seem to sound like them from what I recall of
sandpipers near San Diego. They are about the size of pigeons but
smaller.
They are a mix of white and black and excellent flyers. I enjoy their
piping
in early spring. But I cannot understand how any bird can evolve with
such
behaviour as these. I mean, I only have to walk on the outskirts of
where these
birds are during summertime and they spend a whole lot of energy in just

getting me to avoid their territory. Presuming they are nesting on the
ground.

Is there a beetle that looks like ladybug beetles but is not? I am
having an
exploding population of these beetles which I thought were ladybug but
I do not think they are. Reasons: I do not think there are that many
aphid
population for the number of ladybug. I am guessing there is a beetle
that looks like a ladybug and explodes in population every now and then.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 01-04-2003, 09:56 PM
James

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message
[...]

Killdeer maybe. It hollers "kideee kideee".

Is there a beetle that looks like ladybug beetles but is not? I am
having an
exploding population of these beetles which I thought were ladybug but
I do not think they are. Reasons: I do not think there are that many
aphid
population for the number of ladybug. I am guessing there is a beetle
that looks like a ladybug and explodes in population every now and then.

There is a lookalike ladybug which is not a true one but I don't know very
much about it.

Old 03-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Kevin Eanes

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message

Is there a beetle that looks like ladybug beetles but is not? I am
having an
exploding population of these beetles which I thought were ladybug but
I do not think they are. Reasons: I do not think there are that many
aphid
population for the number of ladybug. I am guessing there is a beetle
that looks like a ladybug and explodes in population every now and then.

Archimedes,

The Southern corn rootworm beetle, also known as the Spotted cucumber
beetle, (Diabrotica undecimpunctata howardi) resembles a ladybug.

The Mexican bean beetle (Epilachna varivestus Mulsant) also resembles
a ladybug.

Best Regards,
-Kevin
Old 04-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

James wrote:

Killdeer maybe. It hollers "kideee kideee".

Yes, you are right, after looking up the killdeer on the web, it is those
that I am seeing. I still think it is a poor means of living in that so much
energy is spent on distracting potential predators. I do enjoy the sounds
they bring in spring time.

Old 04-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Kevin Eanes wrote:

Archimedes,

The Southern corn rootworm beetle, also known as the Spotted cucumber
beetle, (Diabrotica undecimpunctata howardi) resembles a ladybug.

The Mexican bean beetle (Epilachna varivestus Mulsant) also resembles
a ladybug.

Best Regards,
-Kevin

Yes, Kevin, looked up both but the first is not it. The second is the
culprit. After looking up the bean beetle on the web of Univ of Florida
with its pictures I now know what I am dealing with. I am surrounded
by soybeans and alfalfa.

I used to catch stray wasps and ladybird beetles in the house to release
outside. These bean beetles had me tricked into thinking they were ladybird
beetles. And when they become so numerous lead me to the suspicion they
were not ladybird.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

James wrote:

Killdeer maybe. It hollers "kideee kideee".

Yes, you are right, they are killdeer and not what I had thought were
sandpipers. Now, can you tell me whether killdeer (what a silly name for
a bird, unless they warn deer of approaching hunters). Can you tell
me if some killdeer winter over near San Diego Coronado where I
first heard them around 1983, or were they sandpipers?

Does a sandpiper make as loud of a call as killdeer and display that
fake injury.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:33 PM
James

James wrote:

Killdeer maybe. It hollers "kideee kideee".

Yes, you are right, they are killdeer and not what I had thought were
sandpipers. Now, can you tell me whether killdeer (what a silly name for
a bird, unless they warn deer of approaching hunters). Can you tell
me if some killdeer winter over near San Diego Coronado where I
first heard them around 1983, or were they sandpipers?

They are a plover. I have no idea about their coastal habits as I am in the
upper south.