Old 04-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Keith Edkins

Default beetles that look like ladybug but not;

Given that E. varivestis is a spotted Coccinellid, in what sense is it not a
ladybird/ladybug?

Do we have a syllogism here?
1) Ladybirds are beneficial
2) E. varivestis is a pest
3) Therefore E. varivestis is not a ladybird

Just wondering. Don't think I'm likely to meet them here in England!

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message

Kevin Eanes wrote:

Archimedes,

The Southern corn rootworm beetle, also known as the Spotted cucumber
beetle, (Diabrotica undecimpunctata howardi) resembles a ladybug.

The Mexican bean beetle (Epilachna varivestus Mulsant) also resembles
a ladybug.

Best Regards,
-Kevin

Yes, Kevin, looked up both but the first is not it. The second is the
culprit. After looking up the bean beetle on the web of Univ of Florida
with its pictures I now know what I am dealing with. I am surrounded
by soybeans and alfalfa.

I used to catch stray wasps and ladybird beetles in the house to release
outside. These bean beetles had me tricked into thinking they were

ladybird
beetles. And when they become so numerous lead me to the suspicion they
were not ladybird.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 05-04-2003, 03:20 AM
James

"Keith Edkins" wrote in message
Given that E. varivestis is a spotted Coccinellid, in what sense is it not

ladybird/ladybug?

Do we have a syllogism here?
1) Ladybirds are beneficial
2) E. varivestis is a pest
3) Therefore E. varivestis is not a ladybird

Just wondering. Don't think I'm likely to meet them here in England!

I don't think he mentioned them being a pest.. You injected that. If it's a
syllogism, you just created it.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Keith Edkins

"James" wrote in message
.. .

"Keith Edkins" wrote in message
Given that E. varivestis is a spotted Coccinellid, in what sense is it

not
ladybird/ladybug?

Do we have a syllogism here?
1) Ladybirds are beneficial
2) E. varivestis is a pest
3) Therefore E. varivestis is not a ladybird

Just wondering. Don't think I'm likely to meet them here in England!

I don't think he mentioned them being a pest.. You injected that.

I took it from the University of Florida:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/be...ean_beetle.htm
"This family (Coccinellidae) is very important economically, since it
includes some highly beneficial insects as well as two serious pests: the
squash lady beetle, Epilachna borealis Fabricius, and the Mexican bean
beetle, Epilachna varivestis Mulsant. "

Keith