GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Jargon (multiple fertilisation) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/138842-jargon-multiple-fertilisation.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 13-03-2006 12:17 AM

Jargon (multiple fertilisation)

A while back I came across a term (poly-something) referring to the
fertilisation of an ovum by more than one sperm cell, which happens more
often in plants than in animals and is a possible route to polyploidy.
(Not double fertilisation.) I don't seem to have taken a note of the
term. Can anyone remind me, please?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info

[email protected] 13-03-2006 10:02 AM

Jargon (multiple fertilisation)

Dear Stewart,
I think my Usher's Dictionary of Botany (1966) has it:
Polyspermy= the entrance of more than one antherozoid into an egg.
I cannot see any other poly- words that seem to apply!
Best Wishes,
Martin

Stewart Robert Hinsley 13-03-2006 07:57 PM

Jargon (multiple fertilisation)

In message .com,
writes
Dear Stewart,
I think my Usher's Dictionary of Botany (1966) has it:
Polyspermy= the entrance of more than one antherozoid into an egg.
I cannot see any other poly- words that seem to apply!
Best Wishes,
Martin

Thanks. That was the word.
--