Old 23-04-2006, 01:19 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Ron Hardin

Default Central Ohio umbrella thing weed?

What's this umbrella-like weed, Central Ohio
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w30.jpg

Does it put out a flower eventually, or am I watching them in vain?

--
Ron Hardin

Old 23-04-2006, 10:01 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Ron Hardin
writes
What's this umbrella-like weed, Central Ohio
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w30.jpg

Does it put out a flower eventually, or am I watching them in vain?

Might be Podophyllum peltatum (mayapple), but that is another plant I've
never seen in the phloem.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-04-2006, 02:20 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Malcolm Manners

Ron Hardin wrote:
What's this umbrella-like weed, Central Ohio
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w30.jpg

Does it put out a flower eventually, or am I watching them in vain?

It is Podophyllum peltatum, in Berberidaceae. It's perennial and
single-leaf plants won't bloom this year. When old enough and strong
enough, the plant will send up a 2-leaf stem, with one flower between them.
Old 23-04-2006, 10:42 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
no one

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:19:20 GMT, Ron Hardin wrote:
What's this umbrella-like weed, Central Ohio
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w30.jpg

Does it put out a flower eventually, or am I watching them in vain?

You've got a very nice wildflower there, not a weed at all. Mayapple,
Podophyllum peltatum. To find the flower, look for the plants
with two leaves (there seem to be several in the photo that might do),
and look from the side... the flowers are borne where the "leaf stems"
form a V. Later in the year, look for the fruit, which are green and
sort of egg shaped, and hang down:
http://www.redpath-museum.mcgill.ca/...s/mayapple.htm
http://www.life.umd.edu/emeritus/rev...W/flowers.html (search
the page for "Podophyllum")