GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plant ID question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/146062-plant-id-question.html)

[email protected] 06-06-2006 04:23 AM

plant ID question

Hi,

I saw a plant at a canyon park in San Diego that I can't seem ID with
any of the resources I have.. it had very irregular looking flowers,
consisting of four upper fingers that were almost completely fused and
a single lower finger. They were much longer than they were wide.
There were five stamens (IIRC... it could have been seven) arranged in
an arc above the stigma. The stigma itself sort of looked like a green
cap. Some of the flowers were white and some of them were
orange/yellow. Flower size was probably about 2 inches in the vertical
direction. The plant itself was a large shrub (at least 3 ft tall and
spread over a few feet) that had small shiny leaves.

If anyone has any ideas (even just what families this could have been
in), I would appreciate it.. unfortunately I don't have a photo.

Thanks,
Karl

Scott Ranger 06-06-2006 01:30 PM

plant ID question

Try the genus Penstemon first, the family Scrophulariaceae (in the old
"broad" sense). There are a *large* number of species in Southern California
so you may have difficulty naming it to species.

Scott

--

We'll be building again in Zambia this summer. Our teams are full, but we'll
be returning in 2007. Join us!

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to
prove that the other party is unfit to rule--and both commonly succeed, and
are right" H.L. Mencken
oups.com...

monique 06-06-2006 02:47 PM

plant ID question

This is a perfect description of a honeysuckle--Lonicera.
Unfortunately, many of the species now found in the U.S. are invasive
exotics. You should try to pin the plant down as to species, as park
staff may want to eradicate it if it's not native.

M. Reed.