GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is there a indicator of soil pH simply from the plants that grow there (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/147672-there-indicator-soil-ph-simply-plants-grow-there.html)

[email protected] 13-07-2006 08:59 PM

Is there a indicator of soil pH simply from the plants that grow there

I was wondering if plants can act as a guage of soil pH rather than
scientific testing of soil samples. Whether if one sees a plant X
growing on the lot indicates the soil must be of a constrained pH.

The reason this question arises is because I was under the impression
that this land around me is alkali and not acidic enough to grow
hazelnut. However, one neighbor has a bush that is thriving. So I want
to know if there is a common weed that requires enough acid soil, such
that if I planted hazelnut in that spot would have enough acid soil. I
do not want to be soil sampling. I want to spot a plant that requires
acid soil and thus my hazelnut would do well in that spot.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

[email protected] 27-07-2006 08:35 AM

Is blue spruce an indicator of soil pH Is there a indicator of soil pH simply from the plants that grow there

wrote:
I was wondering if plants can act as a guage of soil pH rather than
scientific testing of soil samples. Whether if one sees a plant X
growing on the lot indicates the soil must be of a constrained pH.

The reason this question arises is because I was under the impression
that this land around me is alkali and not acidic enough to grow
hazelnut. However, one neighbor has a bush that is thriving. So I want
to know if there is a common weed that requires enough acid soil, such
that if I planted hazelnut in that spot would have enough acid soil. I
do not want to be soil sampling. I want to spot a plant that requires
acid soil and thus my hazelnut would do well in that spot.

I am hoping there is a weed that can indicate if the soil is acid
enough to grow Hazelnuts. Have not found such a weed. I guess weeds are
so adaptable to about any soil pH.

So I wonder if a soil can grow blue-spruce is a indicator that the soil
will grow hazelnut.

I want to use plants as indicators of soil pH. Any help.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium