GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New Age fairy dust or scientific fact? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/148090-new-age-fairy-dust-scientific-fact.html)

Roger Whitehead 26-07-2006 05:13 AM

New Age fairy dust or scientific fact?

A gardener I know reckons that rain falling during a thunderstorm will
carry an electrical charge that's especially beneficial to the plants it
falls on, even waking them from a kind of dormancy.

Sounds like rubbish to me but I'm no scientist. Are there any facts for or
against the notion?

Roger

monique 26-07-2006 03:55 PM

New Age fairy dust or scientific fact?

It's not the electricity that makes plants so green after a good
thunderstorm. The lightning ionizes nitrogen into a form that is very
readily taken up by plants once it's washed into the soil.

M. REed

[email protected] 26-07-2006 05:06 PM

New Age fairy dust or scientific fact?

In article ,
Roger Whitehead wrote:
A gardener I know reckons that rain falling during a thunderstorm will
carry an electrical charge that's especially beneficial to the plants it
falls on, even waking them from a kind of dormancy.

Sounds like rubbish to me but I'm no scientist. Are there any facts for or
against the notion?

I'm not a scientist either, and it sounds like rubbish to me, too, FWIW.

However, it may be a garbled remnant of the true situation -- lightning
discharges produce nitrogen oxides which are a significant natural
source of nitrates when they are washed out of the atmosphere by rain.
I've seen calculations of the annual amounts for agricultural areas and
they are not insignificant -- i.e. not enough for corn, but plenty for
forest and grassland. It's one of the ways the nitrogen cycle is closed.

Roger Whitehead 31-07-2006 02:37 PM

In article , wrote:
However, it may be a garbled remnant of the true situation...

Thanks for that explanation.

Roger

Roger Whitehead 31-07-2006 02:37 PM

In article , Monique wrote:
It's not the electricity that makes plants so green after a good
thunderstorm. The lightning ionizes nitrogen into a form that is very
readily taken up by plants once it's washed into the soil.

Thanks, Monique.

Nice to hear from you again. 8-)

Roger