GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hypericum hybrid? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/148799-hypericum-hybrid.html)

Raphanus 15-08-2006 11:38 PM

Hypericum hybrid?

I've found a plant here in my backyard here in Aiken County, SC (xeric
pine-hardwood forest) that is certainly either Hypericum crux-andreae
(St. Peterswort) or Hypericum hypericoides (St. Andrews Cross)

It has the four yellow petals at an oblique angle (supposed to be
characteristic of H. hypericoides) but has small leaves (supposed to be
characteristic of H. crux-andreae).

Further confusing the identification are the multitude of synonyms for
the genus and species.

Any guidance? Thanks.
(I'd post a photo but am not sure it would add anything to what I've
said.)