Old 16-08-2006, 11:50 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Help with identifcation

PLEASE - could people have another look at my posts of 11/08/2006. Surely
someone out there can help!

Thanks

Peter

Old 16-08-2006, 12:24 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Peter B" schreef
PLEASE - could people have another look at my posts of 11/08/2006. Surely
someone out there can help!

***
I am not seeing such a post. Are you sure it did come through?
PvR

Old 16-08-2006, 07:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Peter B" wrote in message

PLEASE - could people have another look at my posts of 11/08/2006. Surely
someone out there can help!

Can you repeat the posts?
They don't appear to have made it here.

They're also not in the Google groups archive.

cheers

Old 18-08-2006, 11:17 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Thank you for your responses. This is odd, because the posts appear on my
computer! I will try again here. There are 2 sets, both on 'flickr':

This set from the Tatra mountains in Poland in July:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3685655...7594232798196/

This plant from the Pulsano Gorge in the Gargano, Italy, this April.

Any help will be appreciated - thanks

Peter

Old 18-08-2006, 04:15 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Oh! To be back in the Tatras again!!!

The first two images--it's not a Solanum. This is an odd composite,
Prenanthes purpurea (or something else very close.) What look like
petals are individual florets. Compare the photo at:
http://erick.dronnet.free.fr/belles_...s_purpurea.htm

The third one in this set, the dangly yellow, is indeed. Impatiens.
In the US we call it jewelweed. The fourth is something in the
Caryophyllaceae--your guess of a Dianthus is probably close.

The one from Italy is really interesting. Looks to me like an
umbellifer--try poking about in Eryngium.

Monique in TX

Old 19-08-2006, 06:54 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Hi Monique

Thanks for that. Yes - the Tatras are great.

I have looked up P. purpurea and ascertained that it is found in Poland.
Comparing various images on Google to mine, I am pretty sure that you are
right.

I have tried Eryngium and can find nothing quite like my plant. With me in
Italy was a fantastic botanist (he could sort out all the 49 species of
Orchid we found there and the rest, no problem) and this was the only one to
stump him. He felt it was possibly an Asteracea. I will suggest he looks
in the Umbellifers.

I have searched all amongst Dianthus, which that one surely is, the
nearest I can get in petal shape is D. segueri, but not the markings. The
trouble with searching the internet is that there are so many horticultural
varieties!

I would particularly like a lead on the "Saxifrage".

Thanks again

Peter

Old 19-08-2006, 07:18 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , Peter B
writes

I have tried Eryngium and can find nothing quite like my plant. With
me in Italy was a fantastic botanist (he could sort out all the 49
species of Orchid we found there and the rest, no problem) and this was
the only one to stump him. He felt it was possibly an Asteracea. I
will suggest he looks in the Umbellifers.

I wasn't going to argue with Eryngium, but if you think that it isn't
you could try Dipsacaceae or perhaps Adoxaceae.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-08-2006, 10:08 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , Peter B
writes

I would particularly like a lead on the "Saxifrage".

Looks to me like Moschatel, Adoxa moschatellina, vernacular name "Town
Hall Clock", because of the arrangement of the flowers.

http://www.english-country-garden.co...hall-clock.htm

cheers,
robin

--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk

Old 21-08-2006, 04:31 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , Robin Somes wrote:
Looks to me like Moschatel, Adoxa moschatellina, vernacular name "Town
Hall Clock"

I doubt it. One of its other vernacular names is Five-faced Bishop, which
gives a clue to the number of flowers on each spike. Peter's specimen has
many flowers.

I don't know what Peter's plant actually is, though. 8-)

Roger

Old 21-08-2006, 04:31 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , Monique wrote:
The third one in this set, the dangly yellow, is indeed. Impatiens.
In the US we call it jewelweed.

Looks to me like /Impatiens noli-tangere/, known in Britain as
Touch-me-not Balsam.

I've noted this on Flickr.

Roger

Old 21-08-2006, 01:50 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Thank you everyone.

Yes, I aggree with Roger. Superficially the the individual blooms of the
"saxifrage" might look like Adoxa, but the structure is wrong. Does anyone
disagree or agree that it is a saxifrage? Seems to have 10 stamens, but it
looks like 3 styles each on a free carpel.

The Italian job is a real puzzle. I can find nothing like it on Google
Images under any of the suggested families.

Peter

Old 21-08-2006, 02:04 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Does anyone
disagree or agree that it is a saxifrage? Seems to have 10 stamens, but it
looks like 3 styles each on a free carpel.

As far as I can tell from
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2798196&size=o
it has 6 stamens and 6 tepals. So check out monocots.

Best

-- Jan

Old 21-08-2006, 02:22 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Thanks Jan, but I can definitely count 10 stamens on the apical corolla and
more than 6 tepals (but I cannot see 10 tepals). The plant is very small -
each corolla is less that 5mm across. I cannot recall the leaf structure.

Peter

"Peter B" wrote in message
PLEASE - could people have another look at my posts of 11/08/2006.
Surely someone out there can help!

Thanks

Peter

Plant identifcation please Suzy K Gardening 0 11-09-2008 03:41 AM
Need help with identifcation - wild plant in NE Ohio CAP Plant Science 6 25-07-2006 03:28 AM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 02:03 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 01:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 06:09 AM