GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bracken Fern? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/148933-bracken-fern.html)

Raphanus 20-08-2006 11:41 PM

Bracken Fern?

Being new to fern identification, I'd like confirmation that the fern
in

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/

is in fact Ptridium aquilinum. The fern seems to be tripinnate on the
lower part of the frond and bipinnate at the top. Have I got this
right?

The fern is a volunteer in my newly landscape backyard in Aiken County,
SC.

Thanks.

Carroll Hughes 22-08-2006 09:43 PM

Bracken Fern?

This fern is not a bracken, it may be a lady fern- Athyrium filix-femina.

Carroll Hughes

Raphanus 24-08-2006 10:48 PM

Bracken Fern?

Thanks. If one looks at
www.hlasek.com/athyrium_filix-femina_a2972.html the leaves of mine look
quite different unless there is considerable variability. Or...?

mel turner 25-08-2006 08:40 PM

Bracken Fern?

"Raphanus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Being new to fern identification, I'd like confirmation that the fern
in

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/

is in fact Ptridium aquilinum. The fern seems to be tripinnate on the
lower part of the frond and bipinnate at the top. Have I got this
right?

The fern is a volunteer in my newly landscape backyard in Aiken County,
SC.

I think it's indeed likely to be a juvenile bracken fern [or possibly
a rejuvenated sprout from a small piece of rhizome left behind after
the landscaping]. In adults, the leaves are much longer-stalked
and are spaced widely apart on the long-creeping rhizomes instead of
forming a crowded clump as in yours. If I recall correctly, young
plants of bracken do resemble your fern. Your plant's ultimate frond
segments also look like those of bracken.

cheers