GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   please help flower ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/149118-please-help-flower-id.html)

Andy Schecter 27-08-2006 07:43 PM

please help flower ID

Came up in a wildflower mix. Can't seem to find it in the fieldguide. Thanks!
http://static.flickr.com/96/226044961_7a12177368_b.jpg
--

-Andy S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/

Charles[_1_] 27-08-2006 08:22 PM

please help flower ID

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:43:20 GMT, Andy Schecter
wrote:

Came up in a wildflower mix. Can't seem to find it in the fieldguide. Thanks!
http://static.flickr.com/96/226044961_7a12177368_b.jpg

Looks to me like red flax. Your picture is better than what I found
on Google, but here's one anyway:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

Andy Schecter 27-08-2006 09:33 PM

please help flower ID

Charles wrote:
Came up in a wildflower mix. Can't seem to find it in the fieldguide. Thanks!
http://static.flickr.com/96/226044961_7a12177368_b.jpg

Looks to me like red flax. Your picture is better than what I found
on Google, but here's one anyway:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

Yes, I think you're right. Here's another photo:
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/1288/1

Thanks so much!

Charles[_1_] 28-08-2006 10:18 AM

please help flower ID

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:33:56 GMT, Andy Schecter
wrote:

Charles wrote:
Came up in a wildflower mix. Can't seem to find it in the fieldguide. Thanks!
http://static.flickr.com/96/226044961_7a12177368_b.jpg

Looks to me like red flax. Your picture is better than what I found
on Google, but here's one anyway:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

Yes, I think you're right. Here's another photo:
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/1288/1

Thanks so much!

Your photo is still the best, or at least appears most like I remember
the flower, I like that one, it epitomizes red for me. There is a
blue variety, equally attracting, in my opinion.

Peter B[_1_] 28-08-2006 10:21 AM

please help flower ID

I would agree with Red Falx if it has alternate, pointed, but rather oval
shaped leaves along the stem. Could be a garden escape.

Peter

Peter B[_1_] 28-08-2006 10:24 AM

please help flower ID

Sorry - just noticed it is in a wild flower mix. I saw it recently on some
downs near home (south England), presumably deliberately introduced.

Peter

Peter B[_1_] 28-08-2006 10:43 AM

please help flower ID

That link does not work too well. This might be better:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3685655...7594254613043/

"Peter B" wrote in message
Here are some photos that I took at the time
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organiz...57594254613043

Peter