Old 08-09-2006, 04:39 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default colleges! beware of your copy of SILVICS of N.A. HARDWOODS, Burns & Honkala; for Amazon values it at $2,184

For some years now I have tried to buy a copy of SILVICS OF NORTH
AMERICAN HARDWOODS, Russell Burns and B. Honkala, June 1990. Which was
a US govt printed book sold for $33 in the 1990s but appears to have
gone out of print and put onto computer format to download. Trouble is
that the pictures are not able to be downloaded. Occasionally Amazon
had some sellers for about $200.

Now there is a seller for $2,184.79

Perhaps they made a mistake and meant to say $218.

Anyway, I am soon to go to a library and photocopy the entire book for
a cost of around $30.

It is a shame to see profiteering for books that are of a learning and
understanding nature. And I hate to see Universities and Colleges have
to keep such books under lock and key just because Amazon can ask for
more than $2,000. And that some people may attempt to steal such a book
from libraries.

I hate to see Amazon turning to books as money items rather than books
as items of education. And how that impacts libraries who carry those
books.

So libraries, please be wary and careful of your copy of this book.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

a_plutonium wrote:
[...]

Well, the "for sale sign" was taken down today by Amazon. I should have
posted the name of the seller.

Whether it was a prank "for sale" or whether it was a mistaken "for
sale" meant to be $218. or whether there was a sucker who paid $2,184.
My concern is what such a deal does to reference books in libraries
across the country and makes them prone to theft.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 08-09-2006, 09:05 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

a_plutonium wrote:
a_plutonium wrote:
For some years now I have tried to buy a copy of SILVICS OF NORTH
AMERICAN HARDWOODS, Russell Burns and B. Honkala, June 1990. Which was
a US govt printed book sold for $33 in the 1990s but appears to have
gone out of print and put onto computer format to download. Trouble is
that the pictures are not able to be downloaded. Occasionally Amazon
had some sellers for about $200.

I remember colleges and university libraries used to have many of their
books sent to binders. So I wonder if some place makes photocopy
reprints of various books.

In the case of SILVICS by Burns and Honkala as tree reference books are
so valuable for botany and horticulture that I cannot imagine why
someone is not making them available as reprints. Instead of turning
them into collectibles as a money making proposition, these books need
to be available to those that need constant reference.

Can the govt printing press, reprint these two SILVICS volumes of
Conifers and Hardwoods.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 09-09-2006, 01:05 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Silvics of North America: Volumes 1 and 2. are available for free
download as PDF files, which include all the photos:

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/1547
http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/1548

They are also available on CD for $18.95 each:
http://www.ntis.gov/search/product.a...starDB=GRAHIST
http://www.ntis.gov/search/product.a...starDB=GRAHIST

You can also buy photocopies.

David R. Hershey

Old 09-09-2006, 07:14 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Silvics books from US govt

wrote:
Silvics of North America: Volumes 1 and 2. are available for free
download as PDF files, which include all the photos:

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/1547
http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/1548

They are also available on CD for $18.95 each:
http://www.ntis.gov/search/product.a...starDB=GRAHIST
http://www.ntis.gov/search/product.a...starDB=GRAHIST

You can also buy photocopies.

David R. Hershey

Thank you very much, that saves me alot of time. But I hope the govt
does not make this a future habit of putting all their new books on
computer, for I do enjoy some of their books rather than me making a
homemade booklet. And I hope these two silvics books are revised in
future years for they are some of the best books on trees.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium