GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   botany terms (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/150171-botany-terms.html)

Netter 09-10-2006 01:43 AM

botany terms

What does the L. and x mean in the following?

Origanum vulgare L.

Origanum x majoricum

Is there a reference that describes the meanings of such botany terms?

Thanks

P van Rijckevorsel 09-10-2006 07:11 AM

botany terms

" Netter" schreef

What does the L. and x mean in the following?

Origanum vulgare L.

Origanum x majoricum

Is there a reference that describes the meanings of such botany terms?

***
In this case "L." is the author citation, with L. being the recommended
abbreviation for Linnaeus.

The multiplication sign "×" indicates hybrid origin.

No doubt there are many references describing usage of such terms. They are
regulated by the ICBN, the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature at
http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.de/iapt/nomenclature/code, which is available
online, but not very userfriendly

PvR.

monique 09-10-2006 08:20 PM

botany terms

Origanum vulgare is oregano. L is for Linnaeus, the botanist who
named it.

Origanum x majoricum is marjoram. The x indicates that this plant is
an interspecific hybrid. One parent is probably O. vulgare.

If I remember correctly, the plants are similar except for smell and
taste, and both have small pink flowers.

M. Reed

Peter B[_1_] 10-10-2006 02:01 PM

botany terms

Interesting - I always thought that 'Oregano' is Italian and 'Marjoram' is
English for the Latin 'Origanum'. There is always something new.

Peter

Philip Wright 10-10-2006 02:25 PM

botany terms

Peter B wrote:
Interesting - I always thought that 'Oregano' is Italian and 'Marjoram' is
English for the Latin 'Origanum'. There is always something new.

Peter

I used to work in a four star restaurant and our head chef used to
say that oregano is a poor man's marjoram...

-Philip

Peter B[_1_] 11-10-2006 10:26 AM

botany terms

Oh well! It just vindicates the use of the latin. If only I could
remember it all!

Peter

"Philip Wright" wrote in message
. ..