Old 16-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default insect killing Douglas fir

One of my best fir trees turned brown this Spring. I had thought it was
winterburn. But when I dug it up I noticed a huge gelatinous white mass
with
tiny yellow balls of the size of BBs. I pinched open one of these yellow

balls and could see it was some sort of egg case for some sort of
insect.

Anyone know what this is? And does it affect blue spruce or pine trees?
Or
does it affect only Douglas fir?

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 20-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Sean Houtman wrote:
(snip)

Douglas-Fir isn't really a Fir. Ask your county Extension agent about the
infestation, they may be root mealybugs.

Yes, they look like rootmealybugs from pictures on the web. White jello like

mass to protect the bugs.

You know, it is amazing any tree makes it to old age with the number of
insects,
bacteria and viruses attacking.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Douglas fir or Douglas-fir?? [email protected] Plant Science 3 29-06-2005 03:12 AM
root rot in Douglas fir and Lawson cypress Roy A. Fletcher Gardening 2 09-09-2004 05:29 AM
[IBC] Ancient Douglas Fir Bonsai Site? Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 04-10-2003 05:49 AM
douglas fir trees Ray Gardening 10 20-06-2003 11:56 AM
Mycena fd growing on Douglas-fir branches/twigs Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 1 25-11-2002 02:18 PM