GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need help identifying a species of wood (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/151600-need-help-identifying-species-wood.html)

Raffo 16-12-2006 10:28 PM

Need help identifying a species of wood

I'm trying to identify the species of wood that this stump came from.
The pictures I took are at
http://homepage-link.to/handyhenry/b...ing/index.html

As for the first stump, I'm clueless. But I do know that it's very
heavy, as I had one heck of a time trying to pick it up and load it
into my SUV - multiple tries.

As for the last picture, I'm pretty sure it is of an Oak stump, but not
100% sure.

Thanks

Andy Schecter 19-12-2006 11:25 AM

raffo wrote:
I'm trying to identify the species of wood that this stump came from.
The pictures I took are at
http://homepage-link.to/handyhenry/b...ing/index.html

As for the first stump, I'm clueless. But I do know that it's very
heavy, as I had one heck of a time trying to pick it up and load it
into my SUV - multiple tries.

As for the last picture, I'm pretty sure it is of an Oak stump, but not
100% sure.

Where are you located?

If you were to take a closeup picture of the end grain, that would help --
particularly if you could sand it and perhaps wet it so that the grain becomes
visible.

Same for the second log. If that one's an oak, it has the scaliness and ashy
gray color consistent with white oak (Q. alba).

--

-Andy S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/