GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Problem to Identify Salvia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/154485-problem-identify-salvia.html)

Sajan 25-02-2007 10:25 AM

Problem to Identify Salvia

Dear All,

I am a free-lancer plant taxonomist from Nepal. I have been working
for a local flora with my personal fund. In my last visit to the
forest, I collected a Salvia (I confirmed the genus) but the
difficulty is that the plant is climber. I had never heard about the
climber Salvia. If any of you can suggest me the species or the
reference where should i look at, I will be greatful towards you.

Thank you.

P. van Rijckevorsel 25-02-2007 11:29 AM

Problem to Identify Salvia

"Sajan" schreef
Dear All,

I am a free-lancer plant taxonomist from Nepal. I have been working
for a local flora with my personal fund. In my last visit to the
forest, I collected a Salvia (I confirmed the genus) but the
difficulty is that the plant is climber. I had never heard about the
climber Salvia. If any of you can suggest me the species or the
reference where should i look at, I will be greatful towards you.

Thank you.

***
To quote a famous botanist: "if you think you have found a new species, you
have put it in the wrong genus"
PvR

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 01:57 PM

Problem to Identify Salvia

In message , P. van
Rijckevorsel writes
"Sajan" schreef
Dear All,

I am a free-lancer plant taxonomist from Nepal. I have been working
for a local flora with my personal fund. In my last visit to the
forest, I collected a Salvia (I confirmed the genus) but the
difficulty is that the plant is climber. I had never heard about the
climber Salvia. If any of you can suggest me the species or the
reference where should i look at, I will be greatful towards you.

Thank you.

***
To quote a famous botanist: "if you think you have found a new species, you
have put it in the wrong genus"
PvR

It's unlikely to be helpful, but there is a Salvia scandens from Peru.
Salvia discolor is also said to be scandent, though I would have
described the plants I've seen as sprawling. Salvia dombeyi, from
Bolivia, is another climber. (All if you believe what you read on the
web.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

P. van Rijckevorsel 25-02-2007 01:57 PM

Problem to Identify Salvia

"P. van Rijckevorsel" schreef

***
To quote a famous botanist: "if you think you have found a new species,
you have put it in the wrong genus"
PvR

or was it: "... in the wrong family." ? Memory is not what it should be.
PvR

Sajan 26-02-2007 04:39 AM

Problem to Identify Salvia

I don't mean to say that is a new species. and i am not also hoping
for new. What I suppose is it may be some invasive species which i may
not know and not found in the flora of this region. I was asking for
some suggestions regarding the books or possible species.

Sajan 26-02-2007 04:42 AM

Problem to Identify Salvia

Thank you.

I will check these species. Can you please suggest me the books? It is
very hard to find any Latin American flora in our region. I will try
to check these species in the web.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 26-02-2007 07:49 PM

Problem to Identify Salvia

In message om, Sajan
writes
Thank you.

I will check these species. Can you please suggest me the books? It is
very hard to find any Latin American flora in our region. I will try
to check these species in the web.

I wasn't suggesting that your plant was any of those species; they were
cited to show that a climbing habit is not without precedent in Salvia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley