Old 25-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Bromeliads - Pineapples

You sound like a horticulturist when you dismiss a plant as being a hybrid.
They always confuse cultivars with hybrids.

Hold it! Don't go badmouthing all us horticulturists. You know I can tell the
difference between a hybrid & a cultivar. And a cultivar of a hybrid, for that
matter.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 25-04-2003, 09:44 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-XXXXX schreef
You sound like a horticulturist when you dismiss a plant as being a

hybrid. They always confuse cultivars with hybrids.

If Ananas comosus is a hybrid, what are the parent species?

There are more than one species in the genus Ananas, so you have a few to

choose from!

+ + +
This does not seem to require comment except
- "one species" is singular so it should be "There is more than one species"
- if a plant is a hybrid then there should be at least two parents, making
three species already, so "there is more than one species in the genus ..."
is a self-evident and redundant statement
- Ananas has some eight species which does not seem like a big genus to me?
PvR

Old 25-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

You didn't answer the question, Rinkytink.

That must be because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about,
including the proper usage of the English language.

Once again I ask you: If Ananas comosus is a hybrid, what are the parent
species?

Sorry Dude, but there are monotypic genera that contain only a single
species. Ananas isn't one of them.

The word "species" is spelled the same whether you are talking about one or
a million of them.

P van Rijckevorsel wrote in message
.. .
Cereoid-XXXXX schreef
You sound like a horticulturist when you dismiss a plant as being a

hybrid. They always confuse cultivars with hybrids.

If Ananas comosus is a hybrid, what are the parent species?

There are more than one species in the genus Ananas, so you have a few

choose from!

+ + +
This does not seem to require comment except
- "one species" is singular so it should be "There is more than one

species"
- if a plant is a hybrid then there should be at least two parents, making
three species already, so "there is more than one species in the genus

...."

Old 25-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

Did you do a google search for websites on the pineapple?

There are several out there that will answer all your questions.

It seems that college students keep getting lazier and lazier with every
semester.

Lambert wrote in message
u...
Also does anyone happen to know the evolutionary history of the pineapple?

"Lambert" wrote in message
u...
Hey guys,

I'm a college student and I'm trying to dig up information about the
evolutionary advantage of bromelain in pineapples. Could anyone give me

few pointers or lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Old 26-04-2003, 12:32 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-XXXXX schreef
You didn't answer the question, Rinkytink.

+ + +
Some people should do their own homework
+ + +

[...] but there are monotypic genera that contain only a single species.

+ + +
Actually, all monotypic genera contain only a single species.
+ + +

I am pretty sure that Ananas isn't one of them.

+ + +
I pointed out that Ananas has some eight species, so I am not sure what you
are not sure of. Last message you claimed that Ananas was so big that it had
you confused.
+ + +

The word "species" is spelled the same whether you are talking about one

or
a million of them.

+ + +
However the word one is a number, and it goes with verbs in the singular
PvR
+ + +

Old 26-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Cereoid-XXXXX

You remain the undefeated troll of this group, Rinkytink.

Although you had previously said that Ananas comosus is a species of hybrid
origin, you repeatedly fail to back up your claim with any facts or any
possible species that may be its parents. You don't even provide a listing
of the accepted species in the genus.

I maintain that your statement was a false one and that you just don't have
the balls to admit you made a mistake.

Your being an evasive smartass doesn't get you off the hook, dude.

Try practicing what you preach and do your own homework.

Old 26-04-2003, 02:29 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

This is a very simple matter.

In my book it says that the pineapple is a hybrid. I am convinced it is a
very good book, but if there are two areas with a confused taxonomy then it
is monocots and cultivated plants. The pine-apple is both.

I have no need to establish anything. In response to a question about why
pine-apples have the properties they do have I pointed out that these
properties are the result of selection in cultivation and that the
pine-apple is regarded as a hybrid.

Anybody who wants more can do his own homework.
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

You have established that you are really full of BS, Rinkytink. You also
have all the properties of a troll.

You neither give the name of the book (if it even exists) nor the purported
parentage of Ananas comosus. Obviously, you are not able to give any basis
in reality to support your fabrication and your assertion has absolutely no
merit at all in truth. You haven't done your own homework. You are just
pontificating nonsense again.

Selection of cultivars does not need to be from interspecific hybrids.

Old 27-04-2003, 10:20 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-XXXXX schreef
You neither give the name of the book (if it even exists)

+ + +
If you are in such a need of a book, maybe you should buy one every so
often. It can be very educational.
+ + +

Selection of cultivars does not need to be from interspecific hybrids.

+ + +
Maybe you should consult the archives of the list. This was covered pretty
extensively a while back
PvR

Old 28-04-2003, 11:20 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Sean Houtman schreef
Now, Cereoid is a cactus freak, and since pineapples are spiny, they must

be cacti, so he knows more than you do!

Sean

+ + +
That might true if the issue at stake was the horticulture of pineapples
(Cereoid having so many friends in horticultural circles)
PvR

Old 28-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

There are quite a few xerophytic succulent bromeliads, especially in the
genera Hechtia, Dyckia, Deuterocohnia (including Abromeitiella), etc.

If there is any actual documentation proving that Ananas comosus is of
hybrid origin, I would like to see it. However, that does not appear to be
the case at all. Rinkytink is just being his usual evasive obnoxious self. I
have seen much of the bromeliad literature and no such article or book
exists. I gave him a chance to redeem himself by asking to cite his actual
references but he isn't up to the challenge, as usual. One is forced to
conclude his wild claim is fantasy.

pineapples Michelle Gardening 26 18-02-2004 06:42 AM
pineapples Michelle Texas 10 10-02-2004 11:31 PM
Pineapples and Bromelain Beverly Erlebacher Plant Science 3 12-07-2003 09:20 AM
Pineapples Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 02:29 PM
Pineapples david United Kingdom 1 06-12-2002 01:13 PM