GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   curly dock (Rumex crispus) water experiment on horse, donkey, llama (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/159100-curly-dock-rumex-crispus-re-water-experiment-horse-donkey-llama.html)

a_plutonium 25-05-2007 06:51 AM

curly dock (Rumex crispus) water experiment on horse, donkey, llama

Well I almost thought I had a win, win, win situation, until I fully
lived through it. I thought the livestock
would eliminate mowing, would fertilize the grounds, would keep me
entertained. But I never thought
to the stage in which weeds would enter the picture. Curly Dock. I
guess they smell it and never eat it.
Anyway, what used to be grass lawn has become this ugly weed.

So I moved the animals to allow me time to eradicate the weed.

So I think the answer is constant steady rotation of pasture.

By the way, the llama and donkey got loose and the donkey took off
like a jet rocket down the road
as fast as possible. I suppose he liked a taste of absolute freedom.
He turned around and charged
the other way for I was holding a fig-newton cookie for him.

What I am trying to work out is a living arrangement for people with
homes and livestock as a
common occurrence as a source of food and as a taking care of a lawn
of generous size. It is a
waste of a lot of energy to just mow grass for so much land. Something
like miniature cows or
miniature horses would be ideal for lawns of a few acres. There is
some damage to young trees
since they like to rub so much, so the landscaping has to be mature.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

a_plutonium 25-05-2007 05:26 PM

curly dock (Rumex crispus) water experiment on horse, donkey, llama

Now I wonder if geese eat curly dock? So that I may have to include
geese into my menagerie of animals.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium