Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,soc.history

Default using foraging animals as lawnmower substitutes; return to having animals around every home

Now I am experimenting with the idea that it is wasteful to mow lawns
when we could have a miniature cow or
horse do the same thing. So that every home that has an acre or more
could have a miniature cow or
horse and eventually use that as food. I would love to get organic
steaks from a cow that I raised and took
care of.

The experiment did not work well in past months because of fence
mending and because there are certain
weeds that the horse, donkey and llama do not eat such as curly-dock.
But I can easily strenghten the
fence and can easily rotate the pasture so I get in there and finally
mow down what was not eaten.

And the grass that reappears in the droppings is so much lush greener
than otherwise. So a field that
has been pasture is so much more fertile from the experience.

But a new benefit that has arisen that is not well known by keepers of
animals. I had a patch of
land that I neglected and had been overgrown in grass and weeds and
young trees and it had alot
of old dead wood and branches. So I put the horse and donkey into that
patch and to my amazement
they have mowed down the grass and weeds so that I can get in there
and really clean it out well.

In human past history we have looked upon these domestic animals as
either food or transport or
labor. But no-one looked at them for what they are really great at
doing. If you have a fenced in area that
is overgrown in weeds and grass and where you have to get in there and
clean it up and clean it out. Then
the best thing you can do is put into that area some horses, donkeys
and llama and wait for about a week
or two and you can get in there and really clean out that area.

So I think that humanity has never really seen the true worth of
horses, donkeys and other such grazers
at what they are especially good at doing. Of course, they will not
get rid of curly dock but will increase
the curly dock, so that is when you rotate your animals into another
pasture.

So, what I am proposing is that the social order of the world start to
make a switch towards everyone with
an acre or more of land that can support a miniature cow or horse or
donkey, whatever, to save in lawnmowing
and to raise your own meat for food.

Of course it has to be well fenced.

Archimedes Plutonium