Old 10-06-2007, 08:12 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

Default Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned - smell bad?

On Jun 10, 9:38 am, Bill Penrose wrote:
On Jun 9, 10:12 pm, Radium wrote:

On Jun 9, 10:05 pm, Bill Penrose wrote:

snip fertilizer of sarcasm

No offense but if you're going to answer, please do so with serious
you're purposely goofing around.

Then omit number one. The rest are reasonable explanations, plus the
possibility that you may have one of the many forms of anosmia.
Usually it is just age, but sometimes changes in the sense of smell
are the first symptoms of a brain tumor.

Have a nice day.

DB

The only disease I am diagnosed with is Asperger's syndrome. I got a
brain scan 5 months ago, no anomalies -- such as tumors. In addition,
I am only 23, so you can take 'age' off the list. I've also taken
smell tests in my organic chemistry lab. I've takes organic chemistry
as a course in my college. Long list of chemicals I've gone through.
Still no answer to the stench of ripe fruits. In addition, none of the
chemicals I sniffed even remotely smell like ripe fruit.

My guess is the stink of ripe fruits is a result of a mixture of
different organic substances, excluding the following:

1. putricine

2. ethylene [sweet smell]

3. butyric acid [or any acid/acidic substance for that matter]

4. ethanol [sweet smell resembling most alcoholic beverages]

4. chemicals resulting from fungus

5. chemicals resulting from decomposition

Old 10-06-2007, 08:24 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

On Jun 10, 9:49 am, Bill Penrose wrote:

Okay, there's your answer. It is also true that food companies go to
some lengths to prevent these processes, so don't rule out the brain
tumor hypothesis either.

Ever since I was born, I've perceived the smell of ripe fruits to be
bad. Nothing has changed in terms of that. If I ever had a brain
tumor, the signs would show, and there would be other neurological
symptoms as well -- such as paralysis, involuntary movements, impaired
vision/hearing, visual/auditory hallucinations, impaired balance,
dizziness, vertigo, memory loss, false memories, distortion of
existing memories, loss of awareness, decreased level of
consciousness, alteration in sense of time, dissociative states,
tinnitus, etc.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

On 6/9/07 8:30 PM, in article
, "Radium"
wrote:

Hi:

I notice this garden has been invaded by the Radium borer. This pest is
spreading far and wide. While not destructive, it is worse than the most
noxious weed I have seen.

Bill
--
Iraq: About three Virginia Techs a month

Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

To Those Who Ca

I would like to give you some information about my disability. The
reason I am posting this message is to help avoid any potential
misunderstandings [though it's probably too late].

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS). AS is a
neurological condition that causes significant impairment in social
interactions. People with AS see the world differently and this can
often bring them in conflict with conventional ways of thinking. They
have difficulty in reading body language, and interpreting subtle
cues. In my situation, I have significant difficulty with natural
conversation, reading social cues, and maintaining eye contact. This
can lead to a great deal of misunderstanding about my intent or my
behavior. For example, I may not always know what to say in social
situations, so I may look away or may not say anything. I also may not
always respond quickly when asked direct questions, but if given time
I am able express my ideas.

However, it's important to note that Asperger's does not affect the
sense of smell.

On Usenet, the text-equivalent of my disability is probably noticed. I
do apologize profusely, for any inconvenience it causes.

Thank you very much in advance for your understanding, cooperation,
and assistance.

Best Regards,

Radium

Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

"Radium" wrote in message
ups.com...

snips

My guess is the stink of ripe fruits is a result of a mixture of
different organic substances, excluding the following:

1. putricine

2. ethylene [sweet smell]

3. butyric acid [or any acid/acidic substance for that matter]

4. ethanol [sweet smell resembling most alcoholic beverages]

4. chemicals resulting from fungus

5. chemicals resulting from decomposition

These all sound about right. However, ripe fruit smells nice. It's the
over-ripe fruit that starts to smell bad.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:10 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

On Jun 10, 2:03 pm, "Garbodello" wrote:

"Radium" wrote in message

ups.com...

snips

My guess is the stink of ripe fruits is a result of a mixture of
different organic substances, excluding the following:

1. putricine

2. ethylene [sweet smell]

3. butyric acid [or any acid/acidic substance for that matter]

4. ethanol [sweet smell resembling most alcoholic beverages]

4. chemicals resulting from fungus

5. chemicals resulting from decomposition

These all sound about right. However, ripe fruit smells nice. It's the
over-ripe fruit that starts to smell bad.

Possibly. However, AFAIK, the stink of OVER-ripe fruits is *also* a
result of a mixture of different organic substances, ^^excluding^^ the
aforementioned 5 categories of chemicals.

Ever smelled a papaya? EEWWWWWWWW! Stinky!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany
Ann Ann is offline

Radium expounded:

However, it's important to note that Asperger's does not affect the
sense of smell.

No, but it definitely could have something to do with your inability
to accept the sincere answers that have been given you in this thread.

Fruit smells bad only to you. It doesn't smell bad to the rest of us.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

On Jun 10, 4:20 pm, Ann wrote:

Fruit smells bad only to you.

Sour fruits don't smell bad. In fact, they smell delicious.

IMHO, there is nothing more appetizing than the fresh, delicious,
heavenly, bright, warm, cool, elastic, vibrating, buzzing, tingly,
rejuvenating, refreshing aroma of sour, organic, natural, pesticide-
free, red-&-green peaches right from the tree.

Compare the above paradise to the stench of yellow, squishy, sugary,
juiceless, starch-like, over-ripe peaches. EWWWWW! Stinky stinky
stinky.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

In article .com,
Radium wrote:

On Jun 10, 4:20 pm, Ann wrote:

Fruit smells bad only to you.

Sour fruits don't smell bad. In fact, they smell delicious.

IMHO, there is nothing more appetizing than the fresh, delicious,
heavenly, bright, warm, cool, elastic, vibrating, buzzing, tingly,
rejuvenating, refreshing aroma of sour, organic, natural, pesticide-
free, red-&-green peaches right from the tree.

Compare the above paradise to the stench of yellow, squishy, sugary,
juiceless, starch-like, over-ripe peaches. EWWWWW! Stinky stinky
stinky.

Then just don't eat them for pity sakes!

I don't see what your issue is!

Everybody has individual tastes. Just go with what works for you.

Knowing the "chemical composition" is not going to change anything.

Have them up your meds.

Please.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article .com,
Radium wrote:

On Jun 10, 4:20 pm, Ann wrote:

Fruit smells bad only to you.

Sour fruits don't smell bad. In fact, they smell delicious.

IMHO, there is nothing more appetizing than the fresh, delicious,
heavenly, bright, warm, cool, elastic, vibrating, buzzing, tingly,
rejuvenating, refreshing aroma of sour, organic, natural, pesticide-
free, red-&-green peaches right from the tree.

Compare the above paradise to the stench of yellow, squishy, sugary,
juiceless, starch-like, over-ripe peaches. EWWWWW! Stinky stinky
stinky.

Then just don't eat them for pity sakes!

I don't see what your issue is!

Everybody has individual tastes. Just go with what works for you.

Knowing the "chemical composition" is not going to change anything.

Have them up your meds.

Please.

Om,
remember the story of the tar-baby? The more Br'er Rabbit messed with
it, the worse it got. I think what we got here is a tar-baby. If you is
havin' fun, go ahead on, but if you t'aint, stop messin' wit it.

- Billy
Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

On Jun 10, 4:58 pm, Omelet wrote:

Knowing the "chemical composition" is not going to change anything.

I want to know the chemical composition so I can use those malodorous
compounds for olfactory-sadomasochistic purposes and to play pranks on
my enemies by making them stink badly like yellow, squishy, sugary,
juiceless, starch-like, over-ripe mangoes, that way no one will go
near them.

Quick Quick. The party is soon!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article .com,
Radium wrote:

On Jun 10, 4:20 pm, Ann wrote:

[...]

Point taken. ;-)

I just need to kf the thread.

And that poster....

That way I won't be prodded into wasting my time.
I've dealt with AS people on other lists before, and they really are
never worth debating because it's like they just don't hear you or
something.

Hence my comment about needing a severe beating.

Please forgive me but there are some people I just have no patience for.
Think he will go away if we ignore him?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:40 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

In article .com,
Radium wrote:

On Jun 10, 4:58 pm, Omelet wrote:

Knowing the "chemical composition" is not going to change anything.

I want to know the chemical composition so I can use those malodorous
compounds for olfactory-sadomasochistic purposes and to play pranks on
my enemies by making them stink badly like yellow, squishy, sugary,
juiceless, starch-like, over-ripe mangoes, that way no one will go
near them.

Quick Quick. The party is soon!

Bye babe. ;-)

plonk
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:13 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany

Radium writes:

To Those Who Ca

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS). AS is a
neurological condition that causes significant impairment in social
interactions.

One of which, as I understand, is social cluelessness causes AS people
to often insult people or **** people off, unintentionally.

However, it's important to note that Asperger's does not affect the
sense of smell.

Actually, it may. AS people often have one or more senses overly
sensitive so something minor irritates them. Often it's something like
tags on clothes, they have to cut them off.