Old 09-07-2007, 11:20 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Can you help me identify this plant?

I was ordering some sushi the other day, and I ordered some yamagobo.
Since I had no idea what it was, I googled it, and it turns out that
it is burdock. Luckily, I hit the images tag, and I saw something
that amazed me, the fruits of a plant that I have been at a loss to
identify. However, I don't think that this plant is burdock. (I am
not a botanist, so don't laugh if the ID is obvious to you).

Here are the pictures:
http://gazo.cocolog-nifty.com/my_tin...0-yamagobo.jpg
http://gazo.cocolog-nifty.com/my_tin...5-yamagobo.jpg

So, what is this plant's english/scientfic name?

Old 10-07-2007, 04:37 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was ordering some sushi the other day, and I ordered some yamagobo.
Since I had no idea what it was, I googled it, and it turns out that
it is burdock. Luckily, I hit the images tag, and I saw something
that amazed me, the fruits of a plant that I have been at a loss to
identify. However, I don't think that this plant is burdock. (I am
not a botanist, so don't laugh if the ID is obvious to you).

Here are the pictures:
http://gazo.cocolog-nifty.com/my_tin...0-yamagobo.jpg
http://gazo.cocolog-nifty.com/my_tin...5-yamagobo.jpg

So, what is this plant's english/scientfic name?

Your plant is Phytolacca americana, or Pokeweed. I have one growing in my
yard and they are very interesting plants!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:02 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Your plant is Phytolacca americana, or Pokeweed. I have one growing in my
yard and they are very interesting plants!

Ack...lol. I tasted about 3 or 4 berries on this plant almost a year
ago, thinking that they were edible wild cranberries...they didn't
taste half bad...they had a sweet taste, and then went very sour at
the end...didn't get sick though.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:46 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If you google you'll find a lot of pages telling you that Phytolacca is
poisonous.

If you visit the southern United States you will find millions of people
who will tell you that it is just delicious! Pick your poke before it is
knee high! This recipe is about right:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ens48827.shtml

-Philip Wright

Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered User

Exclamation

This plant is Polk or Pokeweed. the berries are poisonous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post