GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID wanted-- little information (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/162495-plant-id-wanted-little-information.html)

Darren Garrison 31-07-2007 11:22 PM

Plant ID wanted-- little information

A friend in Tokyo recently sent me a batch of seeds, and included a few bulblets
from a plant at first he called a lily, but then said he doesn't know the name
of. The bulblets are green, about the size of a dime, and it is hard to tell
the top from the bottom. He told me to plant them on the surface of moist soil,
but not push them in or cover them. He sent this photo of the mother plant,
with various sizes of smaller plants around it, including some of the green
bulblets.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

ANY ideas?

Benno Bös 01-08-2007 09:02 PM

Darren Garrison schrieb:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

Ornithogalum caudatum:
http://www.giftpflanzen.com/ornithogalum_caudatum.html

False Sea Onion

--
************ das GIFTPFLANZEN.COMpendium ************
***** jetzt mit aktueller Pflanzensystematik und Leformix *****

Darren Garrison 01-08-2007 10:06 PM

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:02:58 +0200, Benno Bös wrote:

Darren Garrison schrieb:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

Ornithogalum caudatum:
http://www.giftpflanzen.com/ornithogalum_caudatum.html

False Sea Onion

Thank you.

P. van Rijckevorsel 02-08-2007 06:55 AM

Plant ID wanted-- little information

"Benno Bös" schreef in
Ornithogalum caudatum:
http://www.giftpflanzen.com/ornithogalum_caudatum.html

False Sea Onion

***
That won't be it. Look at the toothed leaf margins in Ornithogalum caudatum
as compared to the leaf margins in the question plant.

It may be pretty difficult to identify this plant from a bulb: monocot bulbs
tend to look alike.
PvR

mel turner 03-08-2007 09:49 PM

"P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
"Benno Bös" schreef in
Ornithogalum caudatum:
http://www.giftpflanzen.com/ornithogalum_caudatum.html

False Sea Onion

Agreed. See:
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=...galum+caudatum

***
That won't be it. Look at the toothed leaf margins in Ornithogalum
caudatum as compared to the leaf margins in the question plant.

It may be pretty difficult to identify this plant from a bulb: monocot
bulbs tend to look alike.

As far as I know, O. caudatum does not ever have toothed leaf
margins. I think the "teeth" in the above photo may well be an
artifact caused by the inset image's coarser pixels.

cheers

P. van Rijckevorsel 04-08-2007 06:46 AM

Plant ID wanted-- little information

That won't be it. Look at the toothed leaf margins in Ornithogalum
caudatum as compared to the leaf margins in the question plant.

It may be pretty difficult to identify this plant from a bulb: monocot
bulbs tend to look alike.

"mel turner" schreef
As far as I know, O. caudatum does not ever have toothed leaf
margins. I think the "teeth" in the above photo may well be an
artifact caused by the inset image's coarser pixels.

***
We live and learn.
Anyway, I see they are not present in the other pictures.
PvR