GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   a beautiful sight, yellow leopard frogs, so I know the environment here is still clean (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/164714-beautiful-sight-yellow-leopard-frogs-so-i-know-environment-here-still-clean.html)

a_plutonium 12-09-2007 06:14 AM

a beautiful sight, yellow leopard frogs, so I know the environment here is still clean

Three days ago I was mowing the field and came across several yellow
leopard frogs. I have never
seen yellow leopard frogs before. I have seen the larger green leopard
frogs back in Ohio and elsewhere.
So I looked up yellow leopard frogs and they are sometimes called
meadow or grass frogs.

I simply shoed them away into the brush so the mower would not harm
them.

I came upon three of them. It was a happy sight because frogs are
becoming rare. They are so
easily preyed upon and their soft bodies have little defence in a
increasingly polluted world.

So when I see frogs on my property is a signal that my place is still
a good environment to
live.

I believe the reason I am seeing them is because there is a flowing
yearround stream nearby.
I have huge numbers of dragonflies in the summer from the pond but now
I have the yellow
leopard frog.

Recently I tried to trench the stream deeper to about 4 feet deep.
Perhaps that helps the
frog population. Anyone know if frogs need a deep water habitat?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium