GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What orchid is this? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/164899-what-orchid.html)

Phred 16-09-2007 12:18 PM

What orchid is this?

This photo was recently posted as a link in aus.photo with the Subject
line "Wild Orchids bloom again":

http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/POD/5-09-07

Frankly, it doesn't look like any native Oz orchid that I know -- it
looks more like a _Cattleya_ species to me.

Can anyone be more specific?

(I suspect the photographer's use of the term "wild" may just mean
"feral" (i.e. unattended) rather than specifically "native to Oz".)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Charles[_1_] 16-09-2007 01:59 PM

What orchid is this?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:18:18 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

This photo was recently posted as a link in aus.photo with the Subject
line "Wild Orchids bloom again":

http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/POD/5-09-07

Frankly, it doesn't look like any native Oz orchid that I know -- it
looks more like a _Cattleya_ species to me.

Can anyone be more specific?

(I suspect the photographer's use of the term "wild" may just mean
"feral" (i.e. unattended) rather than specifically "native to Oz".)

Cheers, Phred.

That color pattern I would associate with a Dendrobium nobile hybrid.

Phred 16-09-2007 03:54 PM

What orchid is this?

wrote:
This photo was recently posted as a link in aus.photo with the Subject
line "Wild Orchids bloom again":
http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/POD/5-09-07

Frankly, it doesn't look like any native Oz orchid that I know -- it
looks more like a _Cattleya_ species to me.
Can anyone be more specific?

(I suspect the photographer's use of the term "wild" may just mean
"feral" (i.e. unattended) rather than specifically "native to Oz".)

That color pattern I would associate with a Dendrobium nobile hybrid.

Thank you for your suggestion, Charles. You could be right. A check
of Google "Images" turned up a few fairly close to the sample.

My main concern with assuming "Cattleya" was the apparent cluster and
the size of the flowers. Without a scale it's difficult to be sure,
but they seem to be smaller than any of the cats I know; and the cats
I know don't have large numbers of flowers on a single inflorescence.

Anyway, whether _Cattleya_ or _D. nobile_, it seems to be an exotic
"feral" rather than a true Australian native "wild" orchid.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID