GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Toxicity of the yew tree (Taxus baccata). (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/165496-toxicity-yew-tree-taxus-baccata.html)

Jean-Luc Perriëns 30-09-2007 04:51 PM

Toxicity of the yew tree (Taxus baccata).

Hello,

I am researching the yew tree (considering to plant it in my garden) and
found that sources conflict as to which is the most toxic part of the tree:
needles or seeds? Could anyone provide some conclusive, reliable information
to that?

Thanks in advance!

Jean-Luc

P. van Rijckevorsel 30-09-2007 06:13 PM

Toxicity of the yew tree (Taxus baccata).

Why? Lethal is lethal.
PvR

"Jean-Luc Perriëns" schreef in bericht

kauhl-meersburg 30-09-2007 07:48 PM

Toxicity of the yew tree (Taxus baccata).

I am researching the yew tree (considering to plant it in my garden) and
found that sources conflict as to which is the most toxic part of the tree:
needles or seeds? Could anyone provide some conclusive, reliable information
to that?

hi,

taxin (alcaloid) content in the seed about 0,16 %, in the needles
(leaves) about 0,7 - 1,4 % and max. in winter up to 2 % (Deutsche
Apotheker Zeitschrift 1937, p. 1265)

I have also one in my garden, wonderful tree

cheers kauhl
(Lake Constance)