GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   latin names and MS Word spelling check (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/170113-latin-names-ms-word-spelling-check.html)

bunkka47[_2_] 03-01-2008 02:44 PM

latin names and MS Word spelling check

Hi!
are there any dictionaries which I can use with MS Word, wchich
contains latin names of spiecies?
ex. Allium cepa etc.

Peter B 04-01-2008 02:56 PM

latin names and MS Word spelling check

I have tried to do this and given up! It takes a long time to type in
thousands of binomials. What the guy wants is to be pointed to a source
which lists the names to save all that typing. It depends on the area in
which he is interested. If it is UK, the following link might help
http://tinyurl.com/2skqj4 .

Peter

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article
,
bunkka47 writes
Hi!
are there any dictionaries which I can use with MS Word, wchich
contains latin names of spiecies?
ex. Allium cepa etc.

I've not bothered to look because it is straightforward to create your own
dictionary containing all the names, latin and English if you want. Then
you just need to make sure that Word is looking in your new dictionary as
well as the standard ones, which you can do through Tools, Options,
Spelling & Grammar.

You'll find the instructions in the Help file, or if that isn't entirely
clear. and it isn't in Word 97 which I use, then Google for "Create
dictionary for Word".

--
Malcolm

Malcolm 04-01-2008 03:58 PM

latin names and MS Word spelling check

But you don't have to type them in. You just download the list from the
relevant website, e.g. for the UK, and the poster did give a species
occurring in the UK as an example, the BSBI website which you indicate
in the URL The full list is available as an Excel spreadsheet from which
it is a doddle to export the first column, the latin names, to a Word
file and then convert it into a DIC file as a dictionary. I don't doubt
similar lists exist for other countries, including, e.g. the USA

Malcolm

In article , Peter B
writes
I have tried to do this and given up! It takes a long time to type in
thousands of binomials. What the guy wants is to be pointed to a source
which lists the names to save all that typing. It depends on the area in
which he is interested. If it is UK, the following link might help
http://tinyurl.com/2skqj4 .

Peter

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article
,

Peter B 05-01-2008 01:20 PM

latin names and MS Word spelling check

I agree. The useful thing, which I have not investigated, would be to have
a look up table that would produce close matches of misspelt scientific or
common names, from which the correct version could be selected.

Any offers any one?

Peter

"Malcolm" wrote in message

[...]

"Malcolm" wrote in message