GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shiny Parts in Flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/170137-shiny-parts-flowers.html)

Charles[_1_] 05-01-2008 02:05 AM

Shiny Parts in Flowers

Some blossoms have very reflective parts, Impatiens and african
violets being two of such. Is there a specific name for these highly
reflective parts?

Sean Houtman 05-01-2008 06:27 AM

Shiny Parts in Flowers

Charles wrote in
:

Some blossoms have very reflective parts, Impatiens and african
violets being two of such. Is there a specific name for these highly
reflective parts?

Do you mean something on the order of "white spots"?

Sean

Charles[_1_] 05-01-2008 07:24 AM

Shiny Parts in Flowers

On 05 Jan 2008 06:27:16 GMT, Sean Houtman wrote:

Charles wrote in
:

Some blossoms have very reflective parts, Impatiens and african
violets being two of such. Is there a specific name for these highly
reflective parts?

Do you mean something on the order of "white spots"?

Sean

Not really, just highly reflective. Some can be seen in this picture

http://www.stanleysgreenhouses.com/i...can_violet.jpg

This one is a bit better

http://image57.webshots.com/457/0/9/...6MnAluM_fs.jpg

They are specular, the appearance depends on the direction of the
light.

Sean Houtman 06-01-2008 06:15 AM

Shiny Parts in Flowers

Charles wrote in
:

On 05 Jan 2008 06:27:16 GMT, Sean Houtman wrote:

Charles wrote in
m:

http://image57.webshots.com/457/0/9/...146MnAluM_fs.j

pg

They are specular, the appearance depends on the direction of the
light.

Ah, as a flower photographer I am quite familiar with those. They are
just epithelial cells, when they are turgid, they stick out from the
surface slightly, and make a little lens like structure. If the surface
is shiny, you get that effect. There is probably some specific term for
that effect, but my Stearns is in storage, and I can't think of
anything right now, although rugulose comes close as a description.

Sean

Charles[_1_] 06-01-2008 08:36 AM

Shiny Parts in Flowers

On 06 Jan 2008 06:15:03 GMT, Sean Houtman wrote:

Charles wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, it is something a photographer would notice. I have never been
able to capture them to my satisfaction. Seems like there should be a
name for these things.

Charles[_1_] 06-01-2008 08:40 AM

Shiny Parts in Flowers

[...]

Oh, and I meant to say thanks for the response.

Sean Houtman 07-01-2008 05:58 AM

Shiny Parts in Flowers

Charles wrote in
:

Yes, it is something a photographer would notice. I have never been
able to capture them to my satisfaction. Seems like there should be a
name for these things.

I have heard the term "crystalline texture" used, but only in the context
of photography, not in botany.

Sean