GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wildflower Identification Needed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/17336-re-wildflower-identification-needed.html)

Una Smith 23-04-2003 02:22 PM

Wildflower Identification Needed

(Inyo) wrote:
http://salinevalley.topcities.com/wi...ldflowers.html

Charles wrote:
Looks to me like sand verbena
http://www.desertusa.com/may96/du_sand.html
http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/1354.htm

Not to me. Verbena is a genus which usually has opposite leaves;
Inyo's specimen appears to have alternate leaves. In Verbena the
leaves are typically thick, leathery, with petioles, and not at
all dissected; in Inyo's specimen they are thin, not leathery,
and highly dissected. In Verbena the flowers are in umbels;
Inyo's specimen has clusters of flowers but the clusters do not
appear to be umbels.

To me, the genus Phacelia (Hydrophyllaceae) is a better match.

Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM 87545

Monique Reed 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

Wildflower Identification Needed

Can someone e-mail me a jpeg? I can't get the page to open with
either I-e or Netscape--the browser just slams shut.

M. Reed

MMMavocado 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

Wildflower Identification Needed

I can see Hydrophyllaceae and that may be correct. But might Polemoniaceae also
be possible? It has the vague look of sky pilot (I know this is not that
species, but there is a similarity). Malcolm Manners

Una Smith 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

Wildflower Identification Needed

Monique Reed wrote:
Can someone e-mail me a jpeg?

Done.

I can't get the page to open with either I-e or Netscape--the
browser just slams shut.

My sympathies.

Scott Ranger 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

Wildflower Identification Needed

This looks a great deal like Davy's Gilia, Gilia latifolia davyii, common in
the Mojave Desert. I have several photos taken at the California Poppy
Preserve, not far south of Red Rock Canyon. Gilia is of course in the
Polemoniaceae.

Scott Ranger

Sean Houtman 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

Wildflower Identification Needed

From: (MMMavocado)

I can see Hydrophyllaceae and that may be correct. But might Polemoniaceae
also
be possible? It has the vague look of sky pilot (I know this is not that
species, but there is a similarity). Malcolm Manners

I agree that Polemoniaceae is another possibility. If Hydrophylaceae, Nama is
more likely than Phacelia.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;