Old 26-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Registered User

Question Plants with the deepest root structure

Hi, this is my first post here, I'm having trouble finding some answer to my questions and this seemed a pretty big and knowledgeable place.

I'm a 3rd year architecture student and currently on a project designing an airship terminal, part of my terminal features the growth of plants both small and big which have root structures that grow more deeper vertically rather than horizontally.

Would anybody be able to throw some light on any species that I could look at that have this characteristic?

Many thanks for any help.

Simon
Old 26-04-2008, 07:28 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Plants with the deepest root structure

simonb wrote in news:simonb.2883d69
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Hi, this is my first post here, I'm having trouble finding some answer
to my questions and this seemed a pretty big and knowledgeable place.

I'm a 3rd year architecture student and currently on a project
designing an airship terminal, part of my terminal features the growth
of plants both small and big which have root structures that grow more
deeper vertically rather than horizontally.

Would anybody be able to throw some light on any species that I could
look at that have this characteristic?

Many thanks for any help.

Simon

You can search for "phreatophyte" to find a variety of plants that meet
your requirements.

Sean

Old 26-04-2008, 05:55 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
jon jon is offline

--
simonb

I'm not sure what other criteria you might think important, but
classically I think of phreatophytes as deep-rooted species. Examples
are tamarisk (shrub), some poplars (tree), possibly Russian olive
(tree). These deep-rooted plants are generally found in alluvial or
riverine environments where they can extract deep water. Some of the
other characteristics of these plants are undesirable in that they are
considered weedy pests, especially in the Western U.S. (at least the
tamarisk and Russian olive).

For non-woody deep-rooted plants what comes to mind is alfalfa.
Alfalfa has some desirable properties in that it aids in soil
nitrification, can be harvested for feed multiple times per year, and
is generally a nice-looking crop plant (aesthetically). It doesn't of
course have the imposing aspect of a woody species.

In drier climates of the Western U.S. many of the woody plants have
adapted with broad, shallow root systems. Except, of course, for the
phreatophytes which grow near water runs.

hope that helps. Someone else should chime in with more specific
(ahem) knowledge.

--
jon

Old 27-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Registered User

Guys, thats been some great help and just what I needed, you wouldn't know of any sites with good diagrams/sections etc of any species of phreatophytes?

Many Thanks

Simon