GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pineapples (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/17361-pineapples.html)

Iris Cohen 23-04-2003 04:46 PM

Pineapples

Contributions from the Reed Herbarium No. 28, 1977 under Ananas pp. 56
"Berry sterile in cultivated forms"

The pineapple is a berry? Can someone explain how it fits the definition? In
fertile pineapples, where do they put the seeds?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Monique Reed 23-04-2003 05:10 PM

Pineapples

A pineapple is a multiple fruit--it's the product of a whole
inflorescence. Each little "square" section of the fruit represents
one mature ovary (a berry), while the "core" is the inflorescence
stalk. If you've seen a pineapple growing on a plant, it's easier to
tell that the leaves at the top are more stem leaves, and if you leave
the pineapple on, the stalk may eventually elongate at the top and
flower again.

In a "wild type" pineapple, each little berry would have seeds.

Monique Reed

P van Rijckevorsel 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

Pineapples

Monique Reed schreef
A pineapple is a multiple fruit--it's the product of a whole

inflorescence.

Sometimes called an "infrutescense"
PvR