GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identifying a seedling from the seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/173830-identifying-seedling-seed.html)

[email protected] 03-05-2008 09:13 PM

Identifying a seedling from the seed

I was accidentally provided a seedling that is just coming up when I
was mailed a 5 foot tall tree. It is not a seedling from this tree,
but I cannot find a good website for tree seed identification. Any
ideas? This far I have a 2-3 cm long oblong smooth brown seed (leaves
are just coming so no features yet). The root is single and deep,
already about 8 inches.

Thank you in advance

Sean Houtman 04-05-2008 05:25 AM

Identifying a seedling from the seed

wrote in news:d0253696-cf9c-463b-b02c-
:

I was accidentally provided a seedling that is just coming up when I
was mailed a 5 foot tall tree. It is not a seedling from this tree,
but I cannot find a good website for tree seed identification. Any
ideas? This far I have a 2-3 cm long oblong smooth brown seed (leaves
are just coming so no features yet). The root is single and deep,
already about 8 inches.

Thank you in advance

You don't give us any helpful information, such as where you are, where you
got it, what you got, what else the provider might offer, etc.

My first guess would be the Kentucky Coffee tree, Gymnocladus dioicus, as
seeds of that size are fairly scarce.

Sean

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

[email protected] 04-05-2008 03:53 PM

On May 4, 12:25 am, Sean Houtman wrote:
wrote in news:d0253696-cf9c-463b-b02c-
:

I was accidentally provided a seedling that is just coming up when I
was mailed a 5 foot tall tree. It is not a seedling from this tree,
but I cannot find a good website for tree seed identification. Any
ideas? This far I have a 2-3 cm long oblong smooth brown seed (leaves
are just coming so no features yet). The root is single and deep,
already about 8 inches.

Thank you in advance

You don't give us any helpful information, such as where you are, where you
got it, what you got, what else the provider might offer, etc.

My first guess would be the Kentucky Coffee tree, Gymnocladus dioicus, as
seeds of that size are fairly scarce.

Sean

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I am in NY, but that's not relevant as an accidentally mailed tree
could be intended for any climate zone. The tree came from Oregon, I
don't know if it was sheltered indoor or outdoor for the winters so
the seedling again could have any hardiness level. Provider was forest
farm trees, which offers a whole inch thick booklet of seedlings of
all kinds. It came with a magnolia tree.

TIA

Sean Houtman 06-05-2008 05:08 AM

Identifying a seedling from the seed

wrote in
:

[...]

That does help a little bit, we would need to see pictures when you have
leaves.

Sean

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **