GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What plant is this? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/173865-what-plant.html)

Gnarlodious[_2_] 04-05-2008 11:16 PM

What plant is this?

Growing in Manhattan:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5040532.jpg

-- Gnarlie

kauhl-meersburg[_2_] 05-05-2008 08:26 PM

What plant is this?

Gnarlodious schrieb:
Growing in Manhattan:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5040532.jpg

-- Gnarlie

hello,

to early for being sure, please prosecute growing, esp. stem structure -

for the moment I guess heracleum mantegazzianum

cheers kauhl

Sean Houtman 06-05-2008 05:24 AM

What plant is this?

kauhl-meersburg wrote in news:fvnn1g$9qj$02$1
@news.t-online.com:

Gnarlodious schrieb:
Growing in Manhattan:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5040532.jpg

-- Gnarlie

hello,

to early for being sure, please prosecute growing, esp. stem structure -

for the moment I guess heracleum mantegazzianum

cheers kauhl

It isn't a Heracleum, you can clearly see the woody stems, and opposite
leaves, along with a number of flower buds. I suspect that it is probably a
Viburnum, several of which are called Snowball bush. Viburnums can have a
lot of variability in leaf shape between species, but opposite leaves, and
last year's bark shredding easily are usually pretty good identifiers.

Sean

kauhl-meersburg[_2_] 06-05-2008 06:57 PM

What plant is this?

http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5040532.jpg
It isn't a Heracleum, you can clearly see the woody stems, and opposite
leaves, along with a number of flower buds. I suspect that it is probably a
Viburnum, several of which are called Snowball bush. Viburnums can have a
lot of variability in leaf shape between species, but opposite leaves, and
last year's bark shredding easily are usually pretty good identifiers.

hello Sean,

I submit but never seen such deep divisions on guelder-rose - plant must
have escaped from a tropical garden - surely Gnarlie will post again
when flowering

cheers kauhl

Gnarlodious[_2_] 13-05-2008 06:00 PM

What plant is this?

Some more close-ups of the same plant:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5110577.jpg
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5110578.jpg
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5110579.jpg

-- Gnarlie

Stewart Robert Hinsley 14-05-2008 11:03 PM

What plant is this?

In message
,
Gnarlodious writes
Some more close-ups of the same plant:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5110577.jpg
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5110578.jpg
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5110579.jpg

-- Gnarlie

I was skimming a field guide, and an illustration reminded me of your
plant. It might be a sanicle (Sanicula sp.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://florulaprima.blogspot.com

Gnarlodious[_2_] 07-06-2008 07:46 PM

What plant is this?

On May 6, 1:57*pm, kauhl-meersburg wrote:
surely Gnarlie will post again when flowering

And here it is:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P6070718.jpg

-- Gnarlie

Stewart Robert Hinsley 07-06-2008 11:24 PM

What plant is this?

In message
,
Gnarlodious writes
On May 6, 1:57*pm, kauhl-meersburg wrote:
surely Gnarlie will post again when flowering

And here it is:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P6070718.jpg

-- Gnarlie

Try Hydrangea quercifolia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Gnarlodious[_2_] 07-06-2008 11:47 PM

What plant is this?

Stewart Robert Hinsley:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P6070718.jpg

Hydrangea quercifolia.

Good heavens that is it! Thank you.

-- Gnarlie

kauhl-meersburg[_2_] 08-06-2008 12:08 AM

What plant is this?

Gnarlodious schrieb:
Stewart Robert Hinsley:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P6070718.jpg

Hydrangea quercifolia.

Good heavens that is it! Thank you.

-- Gnarlie

hi, thank you for your hold out and giving us the chance for solution -
what place is it in Manhattan where it grows
kauhl

Gnarlodious[_2_] 15-06-2008 07:03 AM

What plant is this?

Stewart Robert Hinsley:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P6070718.jpg

Hydrangea quercifolia.

hi, thank you for your hold out and giving us the chance for solution -
what place is it in Manhattan where it grows
kauhl

Hi. here is the Google Map with street view:
http://maps.google.com/?
ie=UTF8&ll=40.736956,-73.981837&spn=0.001258,0.003079&t=h&z=19&layer=c&c bll=40.736349,-73.982026&panoid=-
V0DxmafBnZmKL28f0JU7Q&cbp=2,83.26221407667214,,0,-9.337684166729867

Though these seem to be popular around the lower east side. I see them
in Stuyvesant Park and all over really.

-- Gnarlie

Gnarlodious[_2_] 15-06-2008 07:13 AM

What plant is this?

Odd that I am unable to paste a long Google Maps URL without having
Google break it.
Here is a short URL:

http://snipurl.com/2ig9c

The plants are growing alongside the park, behind the police vans.

Oh and yes, Manhattan is great.

-- Gnarlie