Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

Default What kind of tree is this (link)? Is this fruit edible?

"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message
D. Staples wrote:
"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message

This thread may have gone on long enough, but I do agree with David and
Monique -- almost certainly Camellia, and most likely C. japonica (the
leaves look too broad to be C. sasanqua to me). And in Columbia SC, the
climate is right.

Leaf is wrong, waxy smooth on the subject, dull on the Camellia.

Camellia japonica leaves are extremely shiny. Always. Exactly like
these.

I'm also sure it's a camellia.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

D. Staples wrote:
"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message

This thread may have gone on long enough, but I do agree with David and
Monique -- almost certainly Camellia, and most likely C. japonica (the
leaves look too broad to be C. sasanqua to me). And in Columbia SC, the
climate is right.

Leaf is wrong, waxy smooth on the subject, dull on the Camellia.

Camellia japonica leaves are extremely shiny. Always. Exactly like
these.

I'm also sure it's a camellia.

Finale answer, yeah, camellia.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:59:12 -0700, Zarlot531 wrote:

Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://snipurl.com/2vwwg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011083.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011084.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

It looks like a type of ficus. Not all figs have the classic "fig leaf"
type of leaf.

Cut open the fruit and give us another pic.

sf
Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:30:46 -0700, Zarlot531 wrote:

The leaves are alternatve. Also, yes, some of the fruits can be VERY
milky. A few seem more dry, particularly the bigger ones.

Here are some pictures of the inside one of the larger ones:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011090.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011091.jpg

Thanks

Well, the inside doesn't look like a fig.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:41:08 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Maudlin, foul-mouthed, people with a compulsion to cast someone else as
more incompetent than themselves are easier to identify ;o)

Hmmm....one who plays with dopes should perhaps be
labeled a "doper"? ;-)

Your advice given to me yesterday? Pot, kettle and all that, old
friend.

The cherry toms and peppers are coming on strong as well as the beans,
zukes and just found a Suyo Long cuke that will go in two days.

The amaranth, Love-Lies-Bleeding, is absolutely gorgeous and a very
large plant, about five feet tall and a spread of the same. The
longest seed head, which are about thumb sized in diameter and a very
nice reddish-maroon color, is over thirty inches long. THe plant has
dozens of heads/strands and more forming all the time.

The Golden Giant amaranth is over six feet tall with large
golden-yellow upright heads of grain.

Had the first picking of Empress green beans today......excellant.

Picked a few Rattlesnake ploe beans to sample the the flavor is
different than the Empress and delightful.

Your Vining 'tunias giving you some aroma yet?

Chug a bottle of TwoBuckChuck and chill, Billy.

Agrafes républicaines de Don de vis
Charlie

Me being on the north side of a hill, your cornucopia has me drooling.
Must be all the lightening that you've been having.

The Armenian cucumber is moving around like a cobra in a corner but
hasn't set fruit yet. The green beans are in flower as well. All of my
tomatoes that are in the ground have at least green tomatoes on them
(that includes the Brandywine and the Striped German). The glazing that
we've gotten the last few days from the Sun have ripened some hybrid
cherry tomatoes (Sungold and Sweet Millions) but none of the Yellow Pear
have ripened yet. "Lovey" has been off on family business the last two
days so I serve our first garden meal tonight. Zukes and crooknecks with
garlic, olive oil, and herbs will accompany a lettuce and tomato garden
salad (probably throw in some dandelion too, the sweating has dropped my
potassium levels). That will accompany a gorgonzola turkey schnitzel and
potato (CSA) pancakes.

The trailing petunias are about the size of a cup saucer but they seem
to have responded to being in potting soil as opposed to the germination
soil. The trombonciniis only 8" high and the bitter melon 6" - 18" high
but both are growing well now. From now on, once germinated, my plants
are going into potting soil as soon as they are hardened off.

The cabbage seems to be a complete bust so I'm switching it with the
salad which seems to do OK where the cabbage is now.

The corn, sweet and dent, is about 3' - 4' tall.

Identified another one of my herbs yesterday. No doubt about it, it's
stinging nettle (ouch):-(. Now I find that she is dioecious and I gotta
track her down a boyfriend(

The echinacea has just flowered as has the thyme but the calendulas have
been putting out flowers for the last two months.

This is beginning to sound like a parts list, so I'll let it go here.

Oh, I gave you that advice after responding to one of his posts which I
don't read anymore. He doesn't bring out the best in me. But it is
weird. He claims to have a Masters degree but there is no sign of it on
his web site. "If" he had one, advertising it would be money in the bank.
I'd be surprised if he had an A.A. degree. "Nuff said.

Take care "Junger".
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 12-07-2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On 7/10/2008 6:53 PM, D. Staples wrote:
"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message
This thread may have gone on long enough, but I do agree with David and
Monique -- almost certainly Camellia, and most likely C. japonica (the
leaves look too broad to be C. sasanqua to me). And in Columbia SC, the
climate is right.

Leaf is wrong, waxy smooth on the subject, dull on the Camellia.

My camellias -- both C. japonica and C. sasanqua -- have dark green
leaves that are quite shiny on top. When I spray, I must add liquid
soap to the mix. Otherwise, the spray beads up as if the leaves were
coated in wax. I see the same effect when the sprinklers run.

Further, , my camellia leaves appear on the stems alternately and are
serrated as in the photos. Finally, the leaf peteols (stems) and the
woody branches on my camellias look just like those in the photo for
P1011086.jpg.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 25-07-2008, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

Zarlot531 wrote in message

Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://snipurl.com/2vwwg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011083.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011084.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

I just examined the camellia bushes we have planted in our backyard--they
have essentially identical leaves to those figured in your images; deep
green, shiny upper surface and mildly serrated, notched. I would certainly
tend to favor camellia, as some other folks in this thread have suggested.

Fossil Plants Of The Ione Basin, California
http://members.aol.com/Waucoba5/ione/ioneproject.html

Old 25-07-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On 7/11/2008 4:26 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Just this week, I picked a "fruit" from one of my C. sasanqua that looks
just like the photo.