Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

Default What kind of tree is this (link)? Is this fruit edible?

Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://snipurl.com/2vwwg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011083.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011084.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg
Old 10-07-2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

"Zarlot531" wrote in message
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Looks like crabapple, if so, fruit is bitter.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

In article pplyinc,
"D. Staples" wrote:

"Zarlot531" wrote in message
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Looks like crabapple, if so, fruit is bitter.

Ignore this fool
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

"Zarlot531" wrote in message

Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://snipurl.com/2vwwg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011083.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011084.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x.../P1011086.jpg- Hide quoted text -

It is in Columbia, SC. at the house I'm living in.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On Jul 9, 11:59�pm, Zarlot531 wrote:
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

Looks like some variety of pear.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

"Billy" wrote in message
In article pplyinc,
"D. Staples" wrote:

"Zarlot531" wrote in message
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Looks like crabapple, if so, fruit is bitter.

Ignore this fool

Ah, the wit and wisdom of a doper.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Jul 9, 11:59?pm, Zarlot531 wrote:
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

Looks like some variety of pear.

Could be a variety of Quince. Is the plant in question a bit fuzzy ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quince

I have one just for the flowers. Once made quince jelly in the day.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

In article pplyinc,
"Don Staples" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article pplyinc,
"D. Staples" wrote:

"Zarlot531" wrote in message
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Looks like crabapple, if so, fruit is bitter.

Ignore this fool

Ah, the wit and wisdom of a doper.

And that is as good as the advice gets from this maudlin, foul mouth of
a loser.

Ignore this fool
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 10-07-2008, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

The foliage is not right for apple or pear, and does not look right for
quince--far too glossy. Are the leaves alternate (one per node) or
opposite (two per node)? In South Carolina, you might have any of a
number of subtropical ornamentals, including Camellia, which makes an
apple-like fruit.

M. Reed

Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

A few more questions--

Is there milky sap? Can you show us what th inside of the fruit looks like?

M. Reed
Old 10-07-2008, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On Jul 10, 10:45*am, Billy wrote:
In article pplyinc,
*"Don Staples" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article pplyinc,
"D. Staples" wrote:

"Zarlot531" wrote in message
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Looks like crabapple, if so, fruit is bitter.

Ignore this fool

Ah, the wit and wisdom of a doper.

And that is as good as the advice gets from this maudlin, foul mouth of
a loser.

Ignore this fool
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Barshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo59c7zU&feature=related

So, what's the answer? Smartass!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 9, 11:59?pm, Zarlot531 wrote:
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

Looks like some variety of pear.

Looks like a Kiefer pear to me. That's a cross between the Chinese
sand pear and Bartlett that is course grained and not very good eating
fresh. They are excellent canned. Can while still firm because they
never get really soft like a bartlett. It'll be another couple of
months before they are ripe enough to can. We have eaten them for
years.
Picture at bottom of page:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/s...319/1pear.html
Care in your area:
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic1352.htm

Tom J

Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On 7/9/2008 8:59 PM, Zarlot531 wrote:
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://snipurl.com/2vwwg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011083.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011084.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

It's definitely a camellia, most likely C. japonica although it might be
C. sasanqua. Even the blurred photo resembles a camellia bush. The
fruit is not likely edible, but it is also not likely toxic.

Usually the flowers fall off without forming any fruit. If you allow
the fruit to mature, the ripened seeds can be planted and might produce
a new variety of camellia.

Young leaves of the closely related C. sinensis are the primary
ingredient of commercial tea.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On Jul 10, 8:27*am, monique wrote:
A few more questions--

Is there milky sap? *Can you show us what th inside of the fruit looks like?

M. Reed

The leaves are alternatve. Also, yes, some of the fruits can be VERY
milky. A few seem more dry, particularly the bigger ones.

Here are some pictures of the inside one of the larger ones:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011090.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011091.jpg

Thanks