Old 13-08-2008, 11:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Can you help me indentify this flower? (extremely vauge description)

Hey! I was at a camp earlier this summer and there was a pretty cool
flower there. I'm going to give you the best verbal (textal?)
description i can...

It was in Forest Falls CA. thats at about 5,000 ft. elev. temp range
from 70-85 F during the day. The flower itself looked like a large
daisy with fewer but larger petals. It was white in color and had a
diameter of about 4 in. My attention was grabbed most by this flowers
sweet smell. I found a small patch of them growing out of a gravel
dirt mix on the banks of a creek running along the base of San
Gogornio mt.

I know this seems like a pretty stupid question, but if there are any
botanists living in Forest Falls CA, I just might get lucky. Thanks
all!
Old 13-08-2008, 07:50 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Aug 13, 9:23 am, Philip Wright wrote:
wrote:
Hey! I was at a camp earlier this summer and there was a pretty cool
flower there. I'm going to give you the best verbal (textal?)
description i can...

It was in Forest Falls CA. thats at about 5,000 ft. elev. temp range
from 70-85 F during the day. The flower itself looked like a large
daisy with fewer but larger petals. It was white in color and had a
diameter of about 4 in. My attention was grabbed most by this flowers
sweet smell. I found a small patch of them growing out of a gravel
dirt mix on the banks of a creek running along the base of San
Gogornio mt.

I know this seems like a pretty stupid question, but if there are any
botanists living in Forest Falls CA, I just might get lucky. Thanks
all!

Hi,

Daisies are in the sunflower family (Asteraceae) and there are
many species in CA. Most Asteraceous flowers have no smell, so
the clue that yours is aromatic leads me to think that it is
probably from a different family. Try looking in the "Geum"
genus. Geums are in the Rose family "Rosaceae" and there are
many alpine species. Can you get a photo?

It sounds like you're thinking what I was thinking--more than five or
six petals. That could also suggest Caltha leptosepala or some kind
of anemone. I don't know that any of those are fragrant, though.

--
Jerry Friedman
Old 14-08-2008, 10:19 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Both of you guys were right it seems... Heres the picture i found

http://www.nzplantpics.com/pics_pere...ultivar_02.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the one. I was searching through images of
geums and this aemone hybrid caught my attention. Soo... follow up
questions. can this flower survive as a wildflower in the region i
mentioned? And finally, does this flower have a scientific or common
name I could identify it by? I realize hybrids can be tricky in the
field of nameing
Old 15-08-2008, 04:06 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote:
Both of you guys were right it seems... Heres the picture i found

http://www.nzplantpics.com/pics_pere...ultivar_02.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the one. I was searching through images of
geums and this aemone hybrid caught my attention. Soo... follow up
questions. can this flower survive as a wildflower in the region i
mentioned? And finally, does this flower have a scientific or common
name I could identify it by? I realize hybrids can be tricky in the
field of nameing

I am out of my field now. If it were an Appalachian specie I might
be able to help. Try asking at a local library. They tend to know
the plant people

-Philip

Old 18-08-2008, 10:44 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote in
:

Both of you guys were right it seems... Heres the picture i found

http://www.nzplantpics.com/pics_pere...ida_cultivar_0
2.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the one. I was searching through images of
geums and this aemone hybrid caught my attention. Soo... follow up
questions. can this flower survive as a wildflower in the region i
mentioned? And finally, does this flower have a scientific or common
name I could identify it by? I realize hybrids can be tricky in the
field of nameing

I would say that it could be an escape from cultivation in that area. As
far as scientific name, it is Anemone X Hybrida. The X indicates that it is
known to be a hybrid. A few hybrids occur naturally, but this one is a
cross between A. hupehensis var. japonica and A. vitifolia.

Sean