Old 25-08-2008, 10:46 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default red clover on top of white clover; the beauty never ceases

Yesterday went over to the field to do some mowing. I have not mowed
the clover patch in
3 months as I want the clover to fully go to seed and to encompass the
entire field.

I had a huge surprize.

Last Spring the white clover covered most of the field and the red
clover was only in a few
spots. Well, yesterday I found that the red clover was everywhere that
the white clover
had been and was so abundant that you had to look below the red clover
to see the
white clover. So, in other words, I have a field of clover of red
clover on top of white
clover. A double-decker field of clover.

I checked for seeds on both white and red clover and some are ready,
but many are not.
So I will not mow until the last moment.

I am also surprized of how small those seeds are. They are as small as
strawberry seeds, perhaps
smaller.

Next time I am at a store that carries clover seed, I need to buy
some, just to see the size of them.

Also saw frogs in the clover field and saw very many bumblebees.

We have had a drought this summer, but not as bad as last year where
we had 3 months without
any rain. This summer we had a month without rain and then received
1/2 inch (1.3 cm) and now
another month without any rain. We expect some rain on Wednesday.

The clover patch is very much active in this drought as it is close to
the water table. So I think
that I am lucky with that clover patch because the conditions are so
favorable to clover there.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium